Jane Eyre on Stage and Screen

Friday, 17 April 2015

Jane_Eyre_Poster

I’m giving a talk at the National Theatre in London in September, so if anyone would like to buy tickets and spread the word, please do so! Here are the details:

Jane Eyre on Stage and Screen
Friday 11 September, 4 - 5.30pm
Cottesloe Room, Clore Learning Centre
£5 (£4 concessions)

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”

In this richly illustrated talk Dr Hila Shachar explores some of the many and varied adaptations of this classic novel. Film, TV and stage productions have approached the story in different ways from the conventional romance to a social drama of class and gender. Starting with stage productions soon after its publication in the 19th century, Dr Shachar will consider how adaptations of Jane Eyre are often a barometer of the times.

Feel free to share widely and I hope to actually meet some of my online London buddies in September.

Gracia also shared this review on her blog, which features some lovely words about one of the zines I did with her and Louise:

“Taking inspiration from contemporary artists, the duo has engaged and commissioned others to participate in the making of new work. Writer Hila Shachar provided the poetic text, Evening Postcard, an enthralling tribute to the night, which features in It’s the Dusty Hour, (August 2012). This enchanting zine, hand-stitched with a single piece of golden thread, presents spirited animals that occupy a series of interior spaces. These worlds are at once theatrical and delicate, presenting readers and print lovers alike with the perfect escape: animated wonderlands inhabited by enthralling narrative.”

Click here for the full article.

And no biggie, but today is my one year anniversary since moving to England. I have been here for a year and slightly terrified at how quickly this year has gone. It has been a difficult and life-changing year, but I don’t regret the decision to move here. I’m still in the middle of end of term madness, marking, and far too many deadlines with editors. But when I have the chance to collect my thoughts, I suspect some words will be written about this year.

Image credit: Jane Eyre poster from the National Theatre website.

No comments: