Nesting

Friday, March 14, 2014

nesting

nesting

nesting

nesting

nesting

nesting

nesting

nesting

nesting

I’m drawn to colour and organised clutter, which in my mind is different from disorganised mess – clutter is a wonderful array of stuff that you form around you like a nest. I am suspicious of minimalism. My taste runs as far as possible from pure white walls with only a single photo (or none) to decorate them, and pristine interiors that make me feel like a fraud. I like patterns upon patterns. I like cat fur on old carpets. I like packed walls and second-hand furniture that doesn’t match. I like old chairs sitting in the corner with frayed upholstery. I like books everywhere. That being said, each to their own, I get this is a matter of personal taste.

Lately, I’ve been collecting images of ‘nesting’; images that express what I like. I don’t aspire to re-create or emulate them, I simply enjoy the idea of them.

I haven’t really allowed myself to think about nesting for the past few years. I felt like I was stuck in limbo – when you don’t have a stable job but only temporary ones, you feel like you can’t make plans for the future. This includes making plans about your own nest. This doesn’t mean I haven’t bought stuff, and decorated my environment, and took pleasure in it. But bigger dreams weren’t allowed.

So here’s to nests. And here’s to beautiful presents from dear friends (thank you Elaine, Gracia and Louise, more on this portrait soon).

Happy weekend.

Image credits (from top to bottom): My Apartment in NYC by AndrĂ© Hererro; Rita Konig’s home on The Selby; Gray Foy and Joel Kaye’s home on The Selby (images 3-6); “In the early afternoon, we acquaint ourselves with tightly coiled chair springs and luxury” by Gracia & Louise; “Patrick Hamilton’s ‘Twopence Coloured’ (GH) vs. ‘Birds of a Lesser Paradise’ (LJ) in Battle for the Reading Chair” by Gracia & Louise; My own photo of my grandfather’s study.

8 comments:

rooth said...

Those bookshelves look a LOT like mine, the books falling on top of each other because there's no more room for them all. Happy weekend Hila

Sara Downton said...

books everywhere are going to be a necessity when i own my own place. they just make everything feel home-y, somehow, no matter how sort-of cluttery they look.

Sara Downton said...

books everywhere are going to be a necessity when i own my own place. they just make everything feel home-y, somehow, no matter how sort-of cluttery they look.

Gabrielle Menezes said...

What a lovely post for the weekend. Merci!

Rambling Tart said...

Such happy sighs these images have elicited, Hila. :-) Wondrous. :-)

Gracia said...

Here is to nests. To perfect spots to curl up in and read and work and snooze, and all in the one afternoon, if possible. I delighted in seeing Percy in this post, and am looking forward to diving back into Twopence Coloured later on this eve.
G xo

random cat said...

I love the way you think, I've found your blog recently, and really, really like it:)
You know what my idea of decorating my place if I had a loooot of money is? I would collect old furniture and repaint it, reupholstered it, and fix it just the way I like it. also old photos, paintings and books. I like the minimalist Scandinavian style, but lately it's been overused and overexposed.
:)

Hila said...

Rooth: And mine too! The books have taken over.

Sara: I agree, books make any space feel more cosy.

Gabrielle: Glad you enjoyed!

Krista: :)

Gracia: Percy is so handsome, he can decorate any image.

random cat: Thanks, that's sweet :) I like the minimalist Scandinavian style as an idea, rather than in practice in my own home. It doesn't work for me on a personal level - but I appreciate it on an abstract level. P.S. Cool name!