For Acacia

Tuesday, 25 February 2014

For Acacia

A good friend of mine gave birth a few days ago, and I can’t stop staring at the baby photos. She lives in Melbourne, and I live in Perth. Just a little over a week ago, I found out my good friend Acacia died, after a long fight with cancer. She lives in the United States, and I live in Australia. I mentioned I feel distanced from myself, and I’m distanced from many people I love. This distance seems to be one of the defining aspects of my life. There are all sorts of philosophical sayings about distance and love, but all I can really state with confidence is that while I often find myself physically separated from friends and family, it doesn’t really change the love.

This is for you Acacia, rest in peace.

5 comments:

Rambling Tart said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss of such a dear friend, Hila. XO I understand very much the distance between you and so many of your loves. I feel that too, deeply, especially during times of great joy and deep sorrow. So glad you have a new baby in your life after your loss.

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

Distance is so hard! Sending you e-hugs!!!

tinyacorndreams said...

Beautiful post, Hila. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. -Maura

Bethany said...

This is lovely, Hila. I wrote a post for Acacia last week as well and I was struck by that same thought - near or far, it doesn't really change the love.

Hila said...

Thank you all, Acacia was a wonderful person.

Bethany, I will read your post with a quiet mind this weekend. xx