Melbourne II

Friday, 27 September 2013

I’m back from Melbourne and playing catch-up with everything. I didn’t take many photos during this visit, mainly because the trip ended up being more business than play so there weren’t many opportunities. But I spent a glorious day at the botanical gardens with some stunning scenery on display, so I’ll share those photos soon in a separate post. Apart from that, I only took my camera out on rare occasions, such as ...

Wandering around the NGV with the lovely Gracia and Louise:

Melbourne

Melbourne

It was wonderful to finally meet them in person and to find such like-minded, sympathetic people to chat with. Thanks for the lovely day you two and for my bag of goodies! I also met up with Rochelle and had an equally enjoyable chat with her. Thanks Rochelle, it was great to meet you.

Taking a few snapshots of the latest addition to my brother and sister-in-law’s house, a second fluffy ragdoll named Sampsa (or Sammy for short – I called her Sammy-bear):

Melbourne

Melbourne

A cluster of colour in a typically Melbourne-like grey day:

Melbourne

Melbourne

Melbourne

A few other things of note:

: : My story is published in Issue 7 of The South Circular, which is now available for purchase here. My story is called ‘Red is for Blue’ and a teaser from it has been posted here. I particularly like the cover created for this issue by photographer Philip White, and also the description of the stories in their newsletter. (EDIT: The editor’s note on Issue 7 is also very interesting.)

The South Circular Issue 7

: : I went to the ball in Melbourne! Specifically, to the opening night of The Australian Ballet’s Cinderella. I wrote about the many faces of Cinderella for The Australian Ballet, so have a read.

: : I also shared my opinion on metamodernism along with Luke for this artsHub article.

More photos to come soon ...

7 comments:

Amelia said...

The first two photos are mesmerizing. Off to read your article on the Cinderella show.

Amelia said...

The first two photos are mesmerizing. Off to read your article on the Cinderella show.

Hila said...

Amelia, the gallery looks even better in person! Hope you enjoy reading about Cinders.

rooth said...

Oh my, you take some beautiful pictures. Talented writer AND photographer? It's too much!

Hila said...

Rooth: ha, it would require a long stretch of the imagination to call me a 'photographer'!

Tracey said...

Oh you make me wish for another trip to Melbourne ... and soon. I love that stained glass ceiling ... amazing!

Sampsa is adorable!! :)

Hila said...

Tracey: Isn't she just! But she's a little terror too.