Guardian article

Wednesday, 11 September 2013

To the sea please ...

This photo has nothing to do with the subject of this post. I’m just putting it up because I need to look at something soothing – the sea is just that for me. To say I’m tired would be an understatement, and I’m flying to Melbourne in a few days for a 10 day visit. When I return, I have a lovely guest post by Rachel for My Favourite Book to be shared. But in the meantime, you can head over to the Guardian where I’ve written an article on the subject of higher education and Australian Research Council (ARC) funding. I’m not reading the comments for the article, because, well, you know why ...

4 comments:

ronnie said...

"you can't measure love but you still know its important" oh yessss

watching state cuts to TAFE funding followed by federal cuts to university funding only to have these compounded by coalition plans to slash anything left limping along in arts and humanities departments in our educational institutions has been galling and demoralising.....

it all makes me think of a social media meme doing the rounds at the moment -- attributed to winston churchill

It was once suggested to England's war-time PM that he cut funding to the arts to pay for Britain’s war, to which he responded “Then what would we be fighting for?”

Niina said...

Hi Hila!
I wish all the best in your way and strenght to manage in that political environment and it´s good you wrote that article although it has left you exhausted. We have similar things up in the air in Finland but situation isn´t that drastic, yet.
Happy vacation!

Tracey said...

Hi Hila - It's been ages since I've dropped by (sorry about that). This change of government and all that has come and will come with it is so depressing ... *sigh*

I find the sea soothing too - something we all need right now. I hope you have a wonderful time in Melbourne and catch up on some rest and relaxation.

Hila said...

Ronnie: I think politically speaking, anti-intellectualism is a 'winner' for those trying to get the popular vote these days. It's a symptom of our times, and one which I'm afraid we'll have to continue to fight.

Niina: The article itself didn't exhaust me, just the responses to it :) But I was expecting them ...

Tracey: I'm sorry about not dropping by your blog for ages too - I simply run out of times these days for general blog reading. It's a shame, I miss it. Yes, I find it all so depressing. As expected, the new government is cutting away at everything. I'm sick of the news already, and we still have years of this ahead of us! What an awful thought.