Exhaustion

Monday, March 11, 2013

I’m completely exhausted at the moment, as I’m in the middle of applying for a very large and complicated grant. If I get it, then it will set me up through my university for the next three years to do research and write another book. There has been little sleep on my end. However, even when you are so focused on one goal, little things will enter into the periphery of your vision, like small jewels of respite. I have two such things to show you, and I think they’re rather lovely:

Long-exposure photographs of ballet dancers

emerging-dancer-201303
Australian dancer Alison McWhinney takes part in a photocall ahead of the “Emerging Dancer 2013” competition. Photo by Leon Neal/AFP/Getty Images.

emerging-dancer-201302
English dancer Laurretta Summerscales takes part in a photocall ahead of the “Emerging Dancer 2013” competition. Photo by Leon Neal/AFP/Getty Images.

emerging-dancer-201305
Australian dancer Alison McWhinney takes part in a photocall ahead of the “Emerging Dancer 2013” competition. Photo by Leon Neal/AFP/Getty Images.

emerging-dancer-201304
Japanese dancer Ken Saruhashi takes part in a photocall ahead of the “Emerging Dancer 2013” competition. Photo by Leon Neal/AFP/Getty Images.

I find these images quite breathtaking; the dancers almost look like butterflies caught in motion.

Soprano

soprano

Procrastinating on Pinterest can sometimes yield something worthy, such as this poem that I encountered through The Paris Review’s Pinterest page.

I’m also working right now on my final edits for my essay in the June edition of Meanjin, so if you read that journal, keep an eye out for it. And I mentioned that my blog was nominated for the Voices 2013 competition, but I seriously had no idea just how big this competition is until I received an email from the people running it. My blog has also been entered into the Sydney Writers’ Centre’s Best Australian Blogs Competition. To be brutally honest, my blog is not really ‘competition’ material. But there’s little point in being pessimistic, I just have to say thanks, and cross my fingers. More importantly, cross your fingers for me about the grant.

14 comments:

rooth said...

Best of luck with your grant process!

Rambling Tart said...

Having gone through the ghastliness of immigration paperwork, I feel your pain regarding your grant writing. I can only imagine how daunting and all-consuming that is. Wishing you a clear head and inspired heart. xo

Amelia said...

Good luck on your grant application!!!

Thanks for sharing The Paris Review Pinterest page - now I have a new place to lurk.

Danielle P. said...

All fingers crossed for you!

These photos are so fascinating and intriguing; it's almost like the dancers are producing oscillations through the air.

Chuck said...

Good luck for the grant, that sounds great. Also, the blog competitions - I don't see why you shouldn't win. That poem is lovely. Something good coming out of Pinterest! Who da thunk? x

Teresa said...

Those ballet photographs are stunning!

Best of luck with your grant. I'll cross my fingers for you.

Teresa said...

Those ballet photographs are stunning!

Best of luck with your grant. I'll cross my fingers for you.

soph (owl vs. dove) said...

Those photos are mesmerising! It's like they tell their own story.

Good luck with the grant! Fingers and toes. x

Hila said...

Rooth: Thanks!

Krista: With a father who has practised immigration law in the past, I completely understand the bureaucracy you must ahve gone through! However, just think of that paperwork, and multiple it by three, and that's a fair assessment of the amount of work that goes into the grant application I'm doing right now :) I'm tackling it step by step, otherwise I will go mad.

Amelia: Happy to help in your lurking.

Danielle: Thank you!

Chuck: yes, who da thunk it?

Teresa: Thanks!

Soph: I need a million fingers and toes crossed please!!

Sally said...

Luck!!

Two very beautiful things to share, thanks. Love love love new poems and poetry's ability to surprise me every time.

Odessa said...

That poem is so simple yet so stunning! I love it.
And good luck on the grant application. xx

Hila said...

Thank you both!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Beautiful movement. And thank you for introducing me to The Paris Review's poetry board. I hope your work on your grant application is allowing you a little sleep this week.

Hila said...

Denise: I'll be catching up on sleep this week!