Underscore in Tokyo

Monday, November 12, 2012

underscore in tokyo

I was having a conversation with Stephanie Peh, the editor of Underscore magazine, over the weekend about the next issue of Underscore. And then we started talking about how she just got back from a launch of a special book edition of Underscore in Tokyo. She piqued my interest and I wanted to find out more. I offered to blog about this, including another one of Underscore’s initiatives, The U Café, to show my support and help spread the word.

Creative Cultures: The Singapore Showcase

This special book edition of Underscore magazine was launched at the 2012 DesignTide Tokyo. It’s designed by the Underscore team and curated by Yoichi Nakamuta, featuring the work of over 100 people in various creative fields in Singapore, such as designers, artists, photographers, writers, and more. What I like most about this is that it aims to showcase the creative work of Singapore-based artists, and I think this broadens the (at times) limited definitions of ‘indie’ publishing in countries such as Australia, America and England, where indie is a more ‘Westernised’ concept. It’s always worthwhile to see what’s going on in other places and appreciate the individual perspectives of others around the world working in the same creative fields. I guess it stops us from working in a self-contained vacuum. This is also part of the reason why I personally like working with Steph. Here are a few snapshots from the launch:

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

The U Café in Tokyo

Underscore’s initiative, The U Café, launched overseas for the first time in Tokyo’s Harajuku, Omotesando and Shibuya districts. It’s basically my idea of what a perfect weekend consists of: drinking coffee, sitting in a café, and getting to read magazines for free. Here’s a peek:

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

underscore in tokyo

Thanks Steph, for sending me these photos. All photos are by Jovian Lim for Underscore magazine, please give proper credit and link back to their sites if re-blogging. I can’t wait to put my head down and write for their next issue, and I hope those of you who have bought the current issue are enjoying it.

4 comments:

Petra said...

oh, thank you very much. I can't wait to get my hands on the Singapore issue. I'm already looking forward to going back to Singapore. and now I'm even more impatient :)

Hila said...

I'm glad you like it Petra!

Des said...

Yes, this does seem like a fantastic way to spend the day.

Hila said...

Des: agreed!