The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet

Friday, 21 September 2012

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Madeleine Eastoe and Kevin Jackson. Photography: Georges Antoni)

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Madeleine Eastoe and Kevin Jackson. Photography: Jeff Busby)

I write for The Australian Ballet, and when I heard they were coming to Perth I offered to spread the word on my blog (this is in no way a paid post). So in the past few weeks I’ve been talking to Kate Scott, their Marketing & Communications Manager, about The Australian Ballet’s coming performances of Graeme Murphy’s Romeo & Juliet in Perth. I am, needless to say, very excited about this.

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Madeleine Eastoe and Kevin Jackson. Photography: Jeff Busby)

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Madeleine Eastoe and Kevin Jackson. Photography: Jeff Busby)

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Madeleine Eastoe and Kevin Jackson. Photography: Jeff Busby)

Romeo & Juliet is one of my favourite classical ballets, and Murphy is one of our most recognised and respected choreographers. Although Romeo & Juliet is such a well-known story, the thing about watching it being performed by different dancers is that each time, you find something new about it through their individual performances and interpretations. No two dancers are exactly alike, and no two nights you go to the ballet are exactly the same. This is the magic of live ballet, which brings this interplay between the timelessness of familiar narratives and the fleeting immediacy of their performance. As Graeme Murphy notes in the ballet’s programme:

William Shakespeare’s prose is legend, his words immortal. My words, written in flesh and sweat, are ephemeral. Though I strive for some gestural equivalent, my language can only be read through the lens of the dancers’ artistry.

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Madeleine Eastoe and Kevin Jackson. Photography: Georges Antoni)

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Adam Bull and Lana Jones. Photography: Jeff Busby)

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Artists of The Australian Ballet. Photography: Jeff Busby)

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Madeleine Eastoe. Photography: Jeff Busby)

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Artists of The Australian Ballet. Photography: Jeff Busby)

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Artists of The Australian Ballet. Photography: Jeff Busby)

I will be there on Romeo & Juliet’s opening night in Perth on 10 October, and I really can’t wait. Here are the full details about the ballet and tickets:

Credits
Romeo & Juliet (2011)
Choreography: Graeme Murphy
Creative associate: Janet Vernon
Music: Sergei Prokofiev
Costume design: Akira Isogawa
Set design: Gerard Manion
Lighting design: Damien Cooper
Projection design: Jason Lam

The Perth performances are with the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra.

Ticket information
Tickets are now being sold for the Perth performances, from 10 – 14 October, 2012. All performances will be at the Crown Theatre Perth, and tickets are sold by Ticketek:

Online: ticketek.com.au
Phone: 1300 795 012
In person: at all Ticketek outlets, or at the venue

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Artists of The Australian Ballet. Photography: Jeff Busby)

The Australian Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet
(Artists of The Australian Ballet. Photography: Jeff Busby)

One last word Perthites: please, please get dressed up for the ballet! I remember sitting next to someone wearing jeans, a t-shirt and thongs (a.k.a. ‘flip-flops’), and I felt distinctly out of place in my silk dress. I know we have a casual culture here, but seriously, you don’t want to brave my mother’s scathing glance of disapproval, who will be attending with me.

All images are individually credited and are featured here with the permission of The Australian Ballet.

10 comments:

hungryandfrozen said...

I love this ballet - I've seen it three times in my life and always discover something new with every different production. This one looks just gorgeous! Enjoy.

Marina said...

Wonderful post. Such striking photos. Looking forward to hearing all about the production from you. Have a great time! :) ~Marina

Jane Flanagan said...

Sounds wonderful - enjoy!!

rooth said...

This looks beautiful - I haven't been to a ballet in ages but the costumes alone are eye candy enough

Teresa said...

I remember seeing and loving several ballet productions when I was little, including Rome & Juliet and Swan Lake. I really should go and see a modern production. :)

Odessa said...

Oh my goodness, this looks exquisite! And made me miss going to ballet classes so very much. I must go back soon. Thank you for the reminder.

Gracia said...

Such a treat you are in for. Such a swoon-worthy treat. And such drama! Those battles. That intensity. Those filmic silhouettes in the marketplace when a murder is committed. I saw this fantastical production twice last year (lucky, lucky me!) and needless to say, I adored it. Prokofiev's score is one of my favourites that I listen to over and over, and Murphy's choreography here is breathtaking. I particularly liked the Prokofiev quote in the AB programme: "I have written exactly as much music as is necessary and I am not going to add a single note. The ballet is complete as it is. You may take it or leave it."

To your opening night! I await your thoughts shared here.

g xo

Hila said...

Oh, you're all making me very excited about going to the ballet! I shall report back, of course :)

vegetablej said...

Such beautiful shapes and romantic curves and colours. I wish I were able to see this ballet. Is it being televised/videoed?

Hila said...

vegetablej: I doubt these particular performances will be televised, but perhaps the ballet itself is available via dvd. It's best to check The Australian Ballet's online store to see if there are dvds of this particular ballet.