In Bloom

Tuesday, 11 September 2012

In Bloom

In Bloom

In Bloom

In Bloom

In Bloom

It’s starting to warm up in Perth, and this is the time of year I usually enter a state of denial about the arrival of Summer. It feels like Winter gets shorter and shorter in Perth, and Summer increasingly longer and uncomfortable. However, as much as I would love Winter to be prolonged, even I have to admit being thoroughly seduced by all the things in bloom in the garden.

Two things I’m looking forward to as the weather gets warmer are sleeping with the window wide open and going to the beach in the evening, just as the sun is about to set. And speaking of the sea, I’ve been watching this video over and over:



I was thinking of this video, and home, and expectations, and belonging, after watching The Fifth Heaven in the cinema last night, which began with the following words (paraphrased from the Talmud):

“There are seven heavens in the sky ... The fifth one is called Ma’on (home), in which ministering angels chant divine songs by night.”

It was a brilliant film, and moving in every way. I don’t particularly feel like offering a review of it, but there was one particular scene where a character called Berta, about to be punished for her affair with a British soldier during the British Mandate, runs around a bunch of sterile branches artificially ‘planted’ into the ground screaming, ‘No roots!’ ‘No roots!’ In a film full of displaced people, wandering and lost, I sat there in an Australian cinema, on the other side of the world from the majority of my family, feeling quite teary. Films like this do make you wonder what constitutes a ‘home’. It was a beautiful film, and I highly recommend it if you get a chance to see it.

11 comments:

suzie said...

I hear you on both counts. The summers here are just too long and too hot, and I'm relieved by the shortening of the days right now…
…as for the rootlessness you speak of, I find myself alternating frequently between a peculiar kind of melancholy for what (who?) I left behind and a sense of belonging here because I chose it as my home, it's where our own little branch of the family live and where our futures are. Perhaps that's the answer; not roots but new branches with buds instead.

Petra said...

I've been struggling with finding roots, accepting that I have no home, for many years. at the moment my attitude has changed and I see it as a blessing. but I'm quite aware that this is just temporary. you can, however, grow your own roots, I'm sure of that. we humans can be quite resilient in that way...

cluelesspixie said...

These are some beautiful photos (the white rose leaves me breathless). The days are getting shorter and colder here and somehow I like the idea that somewhere it is just beginning to be warm...

rooth said...

Please please post all the pictures you can hanging out by the beach in the evenings throughout the summer - I'll need it here in the winter to remind me that summer is just around the corner

Sandra said...

It happens the same to me, I hate summer in it's most hotter days but I have to admit that I love that in Majorca we only get about 3 months of bad weather.

Kelly said...

I forgot about the flipped seasons. Here in Southern California, our summer lingers way into Sept. & Oct. and we don't get much fall. So I'm in the opposite camp: tired of wide open windows at night and ceiling fans that forever spin. Looking forward to some chill in the air. But I'll probably need to wait another month at least.

Monika said...

That video is amazing. Amazing. I love water, images of water, the ocean, lakes, rain....I love the look of elation she has on her face as she comes up out of the water at the end--and then keeps going back under, and coming out again, with joy. Over and over. Beautiful.

Teresa said...

I feel the same way about winter. It never is long enough and summer always seem to take up too much of the year for my liking. But… I always do enjoy the start of spring. The flowers starting to bloom. Enjoying warm sunshine with a lovely coolness still in the air. Your flower photos are gorgeous!

I haven't seen this movie. Will endeavour to check it out!

hungryandfrozen said...

I love winter, I'm going to miss it! It really feels like it has gone too fast. But there's a certain optimism in the brighter mornings and emerging blooms...

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

As the weather grows warmer for you it grows cooler for us. Our shifts in season are subtle here in San Francisco, so different from the grand shifts I experienced in Chicago during my childhood.

Thank you for sharing this video. I like the way they've used water. I often think about the feeling of immersing myself in water (ocean, lake, pool, bathtub) and how it can make me feel new again. I think I'll watch it again.

Hila said...

Suzie: yes, I like the more modest idea of branches and buds, it makes sense.

Petra: I've always felt a bit rootless, I've never really found a place that truly feels like 'home', and the one that does is not a place I see myself living in again. I'm not really sure I know how to create my own roots.

cluelesspixie: The one of the rose is my favourite too.

Rooth: ha, I'll try!

Sandra: unfortunately, in Western Australia, the really hot days tend to be almost everyday in Summer.

Kelly: I'm sure I'll get tired of windows wide open pretty quickly too. I crave the chill during summer like crazy.

Monika: I agree - she's a wonderful singer, and her videos are always so simple, but so moving.

Teresa: There's too much Summer in Australia. It seems to be getting longer and longer, and more extreme. Or maybe I'm just feeling that because I'm sick of it! But it's hard to hate the beautiful sunshine at the moment.

Laura: yes, me too! Stay a little longer Winter ...

Denise: I'm glad you like the video - it's quite simple, but effective.