The Thrill

Friday, 24 August 2012

hurlevent

hurlevent

hurlevent

Why ‘the thrill’, I hear you ask? Yesterday I was interviewed by a journalist from the New York Times on Wuthering Heights, and a little bit about my book. That was a thrill. But more than that, it was a pleasure to talk to a journalist who is as passionate about Brontë’s novel as I am. I’m really interested to see what kind of article this will end up being when it’s published on the New York Times.

Thanks to those who have bought some prints and zines from my new shop, I’ll be posting them today. This temporary shop will remain open until they are all sold out.

I was going to do a book post today, as I’m itching to write down some ideas about an author I’ve been enjoying lately, but since I’ve read so many moving and powerful articles online lately, I wanted to share a few here:

What we naturally want by Jane Flanagan:

But, of course, we’re also talking about how content is consumed—the speed, the voracity, the sense of panic, the more-is-more proposition. It flies in the face of the noise we all make about slowness and quality, integrity and authenticity, hand-made and careful appreciation, saving up before spending.

It’s trigger warning week by Laurie Penny:

Being raped by a man who you liked and trusted, even loved - thirty percent of rape victims are attacked by a boyfriend, husband or lover - is an entirely different experience from being raped by a stranger in an alley, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less damaging. Particularly not if others go on to tell you you’re a lying bitch. Sorry if that hurts to hear.

You know what also hurts to hear? People telling you that your experience didn’t happen, that you asked for it. That you have no right to be angry or hurt. That you should shut up. That you hate men. That you’re against freedom of speech. That’s what hundreds of thousands of women all over the world are hearing when they hear respected commentators (I’m not talking here about Galloway or Alvin, although I’m sure there are a great many people who respect their opinions, god help them) saying that the allegations made against Julian Assange “aren’t really rape.”

It’s Not Shocking That Republican Senate Nominee Thinks Women Can’t Get Pregnant From ‘Legitimate Rape’ by Katie J. M. Baker:

according to a study published in the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology in 1996, 32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year. But some of those women were probably asking for it, right?

Time to put a lid on the constant refrain of putting a ring on it by Emma Young:

What the treatment of the film star reveals is our determination to stick to old-school ideas about sex and gender. The worth of a woman has long been judged by her ability to keep a man. Aniston was supposedly diminished by her failure to keep Pitt and further damaged by her inability to replace him with a shiny new man.

Because she’s female, the idea that she might be content being single, dating and living on her own wasn’t taken seriously.

George Clooney, on the other hand, is only ever envied as a happy bachelor who dates but doesn’t marry, cherishes a pet pig and hangs out by Lake Como. What a guy.

A small town near Auschwitz: 70 years on by Mary Fulbrook:

Perhaps letting the dust settle on this awful past was the best way to try to heal the wounds – at least among those who were not too scarred by its tragedy. Or does this desire to cover or ignore the traces do an injustice to the pain of survivors and the memory of so many victims?

My answer would be yes; we must never forget, however painful and uncomfortable it is to remember.

All images are screen-grabs from my favourite screen version of Wuthering Heights, Jacques Rivette’s Hurlevent.

9 comments:

hannah debbie said...

thanks for sharing Penny's article. I'm about to head over and read it thoroughly.

Jane Flanagan said...

I'm so excited to read the NYT piece - and so thrilled for you too! Congratulations!

I'm dying to know who the author you've been enjoying lately is, so I'm looking forward to that post.

I'm also honoured to be mentioned here among such important pieces of writing. Thank you.

Naomi Bulger said...

Hila I know I've said it before, but I love your powerful and fearless voice. I find it so refreshing to read a blog that can be candidly feminist without feeling the need to denigrate femininity. So often, the two are represented as mutually exclusive in popular culture.

And I am thrilled for you about the NYT article. How exciting! I can't wait to read it.

Carolina said...

I'm saving up for your Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature! I'm so excited to get my hands and mind on it.

rooth said...

Thanks for sharing these articles and like others, I can't wait to see what the NYT writes

odessa said...

Congrats on your Times interview, Hila! Can't wait to read the article. And thank your for sharing these posts. Off to read them now! :)

hungryandfrozen said...

Excellent links, all things that I'm deeply interested in - or at least, affected by. Congratulations on your interview, NYT, oh my goodness! And I'm so glad to hear it was a rewarding experience. Looking forward to reading it.

Sally said...

That is a thrill indeed! I so hope I'm able to check out your book soon. I'm going to chase down that film version as well.

Hila said...

hannah debie: I'm glad, I think Penny's article is so important.

Jane: Thank you! I won't spoil the surprise about the author.

Naomi: I think you're giving me more credit that I deserve, but thank you :) That's the best compliment anyone can give me.

Carolina: Thank you, and I hope you'll end up liking the book!

Rooth: me too, it's always a mystery how your words will be interpreted in interviews.

Odessa: Thanks Odessa!

Laura: yes, it was rewarding. Just speaking to the journalist was wonderful, regardless of the article itself.

Sally: that film version is pretty hard to track down, I had to search for it quite a bit. I hope you manage to find a copy.