Celebration: Kate Miss

IMG_8180

: : I’m pretty thrilled to have Kate Miss from For Me, For You contribute a guest post, as I think she’s a pretty neat person. I’m trying, quite valiantly, not to spend money in her new shop (sorry Kate) as I’m saving up for a trip to Israel, to visit my family. But please, feel free to spend on my behalf. Thanks for this great recipe Kate, I promise to try it. And I agree, a special occasion deserves a fancy drink : :

While champagne is typically associated with celebration, I have to admit that I’m not the biggest fan of the bubbly. It’s no doubt exciting to pop that cork and signify the start of celebration, but once it’s down the hatchet my excitement fades over the taste and way it makes my head feel. I much prefer to celebrate with a fancy cocktail: One that takes a bit of preparation and feels indulgent and special, something that requires the purchase of a wallet-denting spirit.

I have my liquor phases and they usually revolve around the seasons. Whiskey and I are great friends when it’s colder, but right now during the hot Los Angeles summer here I’m all about gin. For a long time I thought I hated gin until a friend introduced me to Hendrick’s, which if you haven’t tried before has a wonderful cucumber and rose flavor. Unfortunately it’s not the most affordable gin out there and I don’t buy it that often on my freelancer’s budget, but that just makes it all the more special. Of course you can use your favorite gin in this recipe, but that’s just my recommendation. I’ve been experimenting with basil drinks lately and thought I’d whip up a basil gimlet for this post, but decided to make it a bit more summery when some beautiful blackberries caught my eye at the farmers market. Nothing says summer to me quite like blackberries.

Blackberry Basil Gimlet
2 oz gin
1/2-3/4 oz lime juice (I use 1/2 of one medium lime)
1/2 oz simple syrup*
4-5 fresh basil leaves
3-4 fresh blackberries

Place the basil leaves and blackberries in a cocktail shaker and using a muddler or the back of a wooden spoon, smash the blackberries gently. Fill the shaker with ice and top with the lime juice, simple syrup and gin. Shake the devil out of it and strain into a small glass. If the drink is too strong for your taste, this is also delicious topped with club soda.

* To make simple syrup, combine equal parts sugar and water on a pot and boil until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let it cool before using. You can store it in the fridge for up to two weeks. An alternate way of making this drink would be to boil the syrup with basil for 20 minutes, instead of muddling basil, to make basil simple syrup.

IMG_8193

Now, let’s raise a glass to Hila and her wonderful new book! Cheers!