Janet Hill

Monday, 16 July 2012

1
Kathleen would never be described as beautiful, but there was something extraordinary about her

2
Reading Wuthering Heights

3
Salvatore Didn’t Care What The Others Thought About His Big Blue Bow

il_fullxfull.326066261
Brownstones

4
A Love Affair

6
Sparklers

7
Catherine’s Cluttered Room

9
Lost Shadow

10
The Maiden Voyage

11
The English Major

12
The Ladybugs Love Chocolate

il_fullxfull.341779047
Red Roses And Dark Horses

13
The Lady Never Liked Having Her Portrait Painted

14
The Wasps Nest

Have you ever randomly typed something into Etsy just to see what would come up? I do this a lot with my favourite books and authors. So when I typed, ‘Wuthering Heights’ a few months ago, I found this print by Janet Hill, which led me to her shop. I immediately felt a kinship with her images, not only because they are so beautiful, but also because they often have such apt and humorous titles. This is a humour that is evident in the artworks themselves, coupled with an intimate tone. The scenes she creates are often small moments out of a day, almost as if you’ve stumbled upon someone’s privacy. The appeal of her art lies in these representations of the ordinary, the small, the intimate, the private, the nostalgic, and the finer unnoticed detail of everyday life. It actually reminds me of the moment you come home and have a look around your place, capturing a fragment of your interiors and day through a heightened awareness of your ordinary surroundings. There’s a quiet beauty to that. And it seems so perfect to decorate a home with images of such quiet beauty.

If you’d like to see more, visit Janet’s website, shop and blog. Thank you Janet for letting me feature your beautiful art.

All images are copyrighted to Janet Hill, please don’t re-blog without proper credit.

23 comments:

rooth said...

I do that all the time with etsy as well - it's good to find something as lovely as that

Stephanie said...

These are stunning. Seriously, that first painting...UNBELIEVABLE. So beautiful.

Also, Wuthering Heights is one of my favorite books. Such an incredible, heartbreaking story. I can't stop rereading it. : )

Rambling Tart said...

I love all of these. Every last one of them. :-) This entire post made me smile and feel light and happy and inspired. What a wonderful artist! :-)

Megan said...

These are amazing -- that first image, in particular, is arresting.

Christine said...

These are so charming. I agree, love the nostalgia and intimate details she captures. Great find!

Miss Bibliophile said...

I adore these! Thanks for sharing them. I predict an Etsy purchase in my future....

Danielle P. said...

These are wonderful! Each is like a "snapshot".

Nastya said...

Very beautiful paintings, thanks for sharing!

Anis said...

I love the portraits,the texture looks smoothe and silky, and the pastel colours are very beautiful!

Ivana said...

Rebecca <3

Junaluska said...

Wow, that first painting is positively gorgeous! I'm glad you stumbled across her work.

Kelly said...

Yes! I love her work, and also felt that immediate kinship with her images and words. I have one print (of a woman in a yellow dress with butterflies) in my bedroom. There are several on my wish list for my writing nook...hard to choose just one.

amy said...

what a lovely find!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

As I was scrolling down I too was appreciating the titles, especially Salvatore Didn’t Care What The Others Thought About His Big Blue Bow.

Teresa said...

Such beautiful work and I love the titles too, especially the love affair one. :)

tksutton said...

Wow. This work is amazing. Is it weird to find decoration inspiration from a painting :)

<3

onefellswoopfindings.blogspot.com/

Sasha said...

Oh these prints are delightful! Not only am I drawn to the images themselves but the titles (you're absolutely right) are fantastic! I love them all but I kept scrolling back up to "The English Major." Thanks for sharing such a great etsy shop!

Maša said...

what an amazing find! her paintings are incredible.

Kate said...

I love the combination of technical skill and beauty with that sly wit. They also remind me so strongly of looking in my grandmother's cabinets, bags and memories. As you say, stumbling upon someone's privacy.

Hila said...

Rooth: glad I'm not the only one who does that.

Stephanie: I'm always happy to find another Wuthering Heights fan.

Rambling Tart: they do make you feel good, huh?

Megan: I agree, the first one is my favourite.

Christine: It certainly was a lucky find.

Miss Bibliophile: I predict that too ...

Danielle: agreed, that's why they're so charming.

Nastya: my pleasure.

Anis: I love all of them.

Ivana: do you mean the first image looks like Rebecca?

Junaluska: me too.

Kelly: It's really hard for me to choose just one as well, which is why I think I'd prefer to save up for a few at once.

Amy: I thought you'd like it :)

Denise: Salvatore Didn’t Care What The Others Thought About His Big Blue Bow is my favourite title too.

Teresa: ha, yes!

tksutton: absolutely not, I'd love my rooms to look like her paintings.

Sasha: I love the English Major one, I almost bought it the other day, but then reminded myself of my (self-imposed) shopping ban.

Masa: agreed!

Kate: exactly, there is this tone of looking through someone's old photos, or things. It's charming.

Ana said...

Oh I'm loving Janet's paintings. Nice discovery! :)

tksutton said...

Oh my!
I am in love with these paintings. They are incredible.
Her interior paintings are just as inspiring as photographs.

<3

Tarah
onefellswoopfindings.blogspot.com/

Hila said...

Ana: I thought so :)

Tarah: I agree - and her interiors paintings are more interesting than most interior design magazines!