Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company

Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company by Hila Shachar

I’ve been waiting all week to write this post: my book has been published!! I am beyond excited. Here are a few details about the book:

What’s it called? Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company.

Who is your publisher? Palgrave Macmillan.

What’s it about? Here’s the book description:

The image of Emily Brontë’s famous characters, Catherine and Heathcliff, traversing the romantic English moors, has come to define the meaning of her nineteenth-century novel, Wuthering Heights. Yet, it is an image that has been invented by the novels film and television adaptations. Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature examines what happens to literary works when they become part of cultural memory through continual screen adaptation. Moving from the 1930s to the current age, Hila Shachar explores the cultural legacy and screen ‘afterlife’ of Brontës Wuthering Heights alongside its company of other adaptations from the works of Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, and others. Shachar situates the analysis of these adaptations within a historical context, examining how cultural trends influence how a classic work is adapted, and in turn, how adaptations help shape perceptions about national identities, history and gender. The scope of this examination is wide, ranging from subjects such as feminism, heritage cinema, costume films, popular teen culture, music video television, neo-Victorianism, French cinema, the rise of English Studies, classic Hollywood cinema, and others. Written in a lively manner, this book offers a long overdue discussion of popular film and television adaptations that have not been examined before, providing an understanding of how these adaptations help shape our cultural landscape.

Where can I read a preview? Here you go. In that link you’ll be able to read a sample of 10 pages from the book, the contents page and index. It should give you a good idea of what it’s about.

Where can I buy it? Lots and lots of places, as it’s being published worldwide, and may even get some translations. Here are a few online shops (please note that the US release date will take a little bit longer):

Palgrave Macmillan’s Website
The Book Depository
Amazon UK

And being released very soon on 21 August in the US:

Macmillan’s Website
Amazon
Barnes & Noble

The book is available in many, many other online and regular stores, so this is by no means a comprehensive list.

Have another question about the book? Ask away in the comments field below, and I’ll do my best to answer it. Or, you can feel free to email me if you’d prefer to ask in private.

I really want to say a big thank you to you all for the support throughout the process of seeing it through to publication. The encouraging comments and emails I received meant a lot to me. And to the person who tweeted a while ago they’d buy the book because Tom Hardy is on the cover, I salute you. I am very glad I got to choose the cover image!

Of course, I’d love everyone to spread the word about the book, as a book without readers is a lonely thing. So feel free to re-blog and share the information in this post, you have my full permission.

I plan on celebrating now, with an online celebration included. So next week begins a series of guest posts from some of my online friends who will be posting on the theme of ‘celebration’. Call it an online book launch party, to which you’re all invited.

Before I finish off this post, can I just say it one more time? My book has been published! Okay, it’s out of my system now.