Celebration: Jane Flanagan

Wednesday, 25 July 2012

: : One of my favourite people online, Jane from Ill Seen, Ill Said, is launching my celebration guest posts for my new book. Ah Jane, you know me too well ... (thank you so much) : :

I’m so happy to be here celebrating the launch of Hila’s book. I’m proud to know this talented and inspiring woman (even if “know” means from a blog world away!). And I can’t wait to get my hands on her book, knowing it will be characterized by the same charm, intelligence, and warm and inviting reflection that we’ve come to know here in this space.

Now, I happen to know that Hila and I have at least one thing in common ... we’re both pretty introverted. So, while a celebration is no doubt in order, such events don’t always come easily to us shyer ones.


Image credits: Cake Painting | Champagne cocktail | Party Scene | Dress

But, I imagine an intimate gathering ... a private setting, a small group with easy manners and mood. There should definitely be champagne and cake. And perhaps even a new dress ... because I think it’s important to mark these important events in special material ways too!

But there’s another kind of celebration—one that I can much more easily relate to. It’s the immediate arrival home after all the exchanges and hugs. Slipping out of that dress to be in your home, take a long bath, look in the mirror to examine your features, trying to perceive the small changes you feel. This is the moment when we introverts finally register all we’ve been caught in the whirl of ... Our celebration is not real until we’re alone with it.


Image credits: Flowers | Bath Oil | Eyemask | Beauty Sleeps Print

Congratulations Hila - I hope you enjoy your celebrations, whatever shape they take!


Danielle P. said...

What a wonderful celebration! It sounds absolutely perfect. I like that Jane recognizes that celebrating can have both a "public" and a "private" aspect.

Gracia said...

"Our celebration is not real until we’re alone with it."

Oh, I do like this.

As a fellow introvert, I enjoy the immediate after when everything slowly stops spinning and you can think, wow, what just happened... how amazing? It is euphoric. And I try to make it last as long as I can before the inevitable thump.

Congratulations once more to you, Hila!
And thank-you for your beautiful post, Jane.

rooth said...

You can wear that Alice + Olivia while doing a celebratory dance at home, can't you?

Jane Flanagan said...

Thanks for having me, Hila! And congratulations again.

Alice Olive said...

Always love what Ms. Flanagan has to say. About taking it all in later, when you're on your own. I like that.

Congratulations on the book!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Fun images. I like the cheer in the yellows and whites. I'm especially drawn to Jane's description of arriving home, after the celebration. So beautiful.

Xixia said...

Oh, I completely agree with Gracia. That quote is beautiful and ever so true. I'm not a complete introvert, I don't think, but nor am I the best in social situations. I definitely prefer a small, close group of friends over a big group. And it's never until I have some time to myself to reflect on things do I feel events and realizations ( and things of that nature ) really sink in.
Beautiful post!
♥ xixia | thisisxixia.com

Christian said...

lovely post and cute drawings.

greetings from Hong Kong!

christian | my blog : www.christianyuen.blogspot.com

Bethany said...

Two of my favorite bloggers in one place. Hila, congratulations on your book! Wishing you all the lovely things that Jane has posted here.
Jane, well done. I want to live in this little vignette you've created here. :)

Denise Sommer said...

Hila, I echo Bethany - my two favorite bloggers in one place. So happy for you, I look forward to reading your book and Jane, what wonderful images, I think I will have that cake for my next birthday!

Hila said...

Danielle: me too, and I do precisely what she mentions: I always inspect my face for any changes after a big event. I did that after my graduation ceremony, wondering if I looked any different.

Gracia: "And I try to make it last as long as I can before the inevitable thump." Ah yes. I can only digest things alone. Thank you dear Gracia!

rooth: absolutely!

Jane: the thanks go to you Jane.

Alice: thank you! and yes, I love anything that Jane writes.

Denise: It is very beautiful, and I can so relate.

xixia: I'm quite introverted, and I usually need time to myself after gatherings to really enjoy them - it can be a pleasant contradiction though.

Christian: thanks.

Bethany: aww, thanks :)

Denise: can I have some of that cake too? Hey, my birthday is soon.

Katie said...

I've never seen how I feel about celebrations put into words so very well. Beautiful!

And congratulations, Hila!

Hila said...

Katie: thank you! And yes, Jane does have a way with words.