Celebration: The Book!

Friday, July 27, 2012

Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company by Hila Shachar

Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company by Hila Shachar

Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company by Hila Shachar

he has such a hard life ...

Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company by Hila Shachar

Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company by Hila Shachar

Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company by Hila Shachar

Flowers

Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company by Hila Shachar

Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company by Hila Shachar

Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company by Hila Shachar

Pretty Flower

Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company by Hila Shachar

I interrupt the (wonderful, wonderful) celebration guest posts to show you some photos of the book itself. When I got my copies in the mail this week, my cat sniffed them curiously, yawned, jumped on the bed, and went to sleep. The sun is obviously way more interesting. Meanwhile, I inspected each copy with shaking hands. I’m still looking at them with a surreal feeling of disbelief.

It’s been an absolutely nuts week for me, because I must have spent half of it just answering emails about the book. So I updated the information page on the book here, to answer some of the most recurring questions. I will keep updating this page as other questions arise. There are two particular questions I should mention here though: I’ve been asked about obtaining signed and review/promotional copies.

It didn’t really occur to me that people would want signed copies, and there isn’t anything in place on my publisher’s end for this. So the only solution I came up with is that anyone who wants a signed copy can mail their copy to me with reply paid postage to return after signing. This can be organised via email. Danielle also suggested a rather neat idea to me: a more affordable option would be a bookplate of some sort, which I can sign and send in a standard envelope, and anyone who wants that can reimburse me for the incurred costs through Paypal. If this appeals to anyone, I can search around for nice bookplates.

With regard to review/promotional copies: firstly, I’m so excited by some of the organisations and publications that have asked for one. In most cases, if you’d like a review copy, it would be best to contact my publisher directly, rather than me. Serious requests will be answered promptly, and should be directed to: reviews@palgrave.com, or contact my publisher through their contact page. If you would like to speak to me though, or want to get in touch with my editor, I’m happy to answer any emails too.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! And I promise, the fabulous guest posts will resume on Monday (and boy are they good). Thank you again Jane and Jessica for your thoughtful guest posts. Have a great weekend everyone.

18 comments:

odessa said...

It looks perfect! Congrats again, Hila! And I can't wait to get a copy.

Cheers!!! *opening up a bottle of nigori sake for you* :)

rooth said...

Hooray hooray - congratulations again! I feel chills all the way across the world for your accomplishment

Michal said...

This is so exciting! I'm very interested to read it.

Jane Flanagan said...

So great!!

Danielle P. said...

"YAY!" indeed! It's absolutely beautiful. Shame on Kobi for not being suitably excited about its arrival!

Ana said...

Congratulations HIla! I'm very happy for you! Let the celebrations continue :)

Debie Grace said...

Wow! This is amazing, Hila! Congratulations!! :)

Teresa said...

The book looks absolutely fabulous Hila. It must feel so strangely amazing to see you name in print like that. Congratulations!

Jessica W said...

Ooo congrats! I'm so happy for you :-)
The Lovelorn

Fen said...

congratulations Hila - it looks AMAZING, I can't wait to read it! :)

Chuck said...

Congratulations! It looks great - like a real book and everything! (+ Tom Hardy). Wish I'd had access to it as a student. Will just have to read it as a layman now. Hope you have lots of celebrations. X

Hila said...

Odessa: Thanks Odessa! *opening a bottle of beer* Oh yes, beer, I keep it classy.

Rooth: Thank you so much!

Michal: I hope you do, I'd love to know what people think of it.

Jane: !!!

Danielle: Kobi had more important matters to attend to - like licking the same patch of fur for half an hour, before falling into a sunny sleep-coma.

Ana: I intend to make the celebrations last a while :) Hey, it might be the only book I ever publish - I might as well enjoy this!

Debie: Thank you!

Teresa: It does feel strangely amazing. And almost like I had nothing to do with it ... but then I think back to all the editing, ugh.

Jessica: Thanks.

Fen: Many thanks!

Chuck: Ah yes, Tom Hardy, he of the wondrous lips.

anabela / fieldguided said...

Congratulations, Hila! Be proud! It looks really amazing!

Sundari said...

Congratulations, Hila. I haven't been online very much at all and I have been missing the blogging-world. Well done on being published and very well deserved. I am sure there are more amazing projects to come. I hope to be in touch soon once all my life distractions have calmed down (crazy house-moving, work, boyfriend going overseas blah blah).

vegetablej said...

Hila:

Congratulations! I read the excerpt from the introduction, but sad to say, I can't buy the book now. It did inspire me to read the original,again, though.

Your writing is elegant.

:)

Hila said...

Anabela: Thank you! I am proud, and for once, not being too hard on myself ... it won't last, ha!

Sundari: Patrick moved overseas? Wow, that's big. Yes, let's email ... and thank you!

vegetablej: That's okay, I don't expect everyone to buy it. Glad you enjoyed the intro excerpt.

Amelia said...

Gah, I am so late with the congratulations! BUT really, CONGRATULATIONS! That looks so interesting. I kind of want to buy it. Maybe in the future :D

Hila said...

Amelia: It's never too late :)