Picasso to Warhol: MoMA in Perth

Tuesday, 15 May 2012


If you happen to live in Perth like me, you’ve probably heard about the exhibition, ‘Picasso to Warhol: Fourteen Modern Masters’, which is coming in June from The Museum of Modern Art. There have been quite a few excellent collections and exhibitions to visit The Art Gallery of Western Australia over the years, but I think this one tops them all. I have butterflies in my stomach just thinking about going to this exhibition. I can’t imagine anyone here in Perth not wanting to make the most of this rare opportunity to see some of the best art in the world.

Since I’m keen to encourage everyone to go see it, The Art Gallery of Western Australia (AGWA) has kindly provided some information about this exhibition to share on my blog. Note, I was not paid for this (I never accept payment for posts), I don’t need money to shamelessly fawn over art! ‘Picasso to Warhol’ will be the beginning of six exhibitions to be housed by The Art Gallery of Western Australia over the next three years, in a partnership series with New York’s Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). Perth will be the only place in Australia to showcase these exhibitions and collections from MoMA. I think this is a very sound reason for those of you interstate to come visit us here in Perth (I can also tempt you with wine and great beaches). I’ve been invited to the media launch for the ‘Picasso to Warhol’ exhibition, so hopefully I can snap some pictures at the launch to share with you all here.

What I personally like about the way The Art Gallery of Western Australia has organised this series of exhibitions is its incorporation of other cultural events. Rather than presenting art as a rarefied and distanced experience, AGWA is incorporating it as part of a wider and interconnected cultural experience, alongside live music, food, shopping and a Manhattan-inspired bar here in Perth. I also plan to take their ‘Literary Links Tour’, which explores the relationship between literature and visual art.


I’ll probably be blogging about this series of exhibitions as I attend them (and basically be swooning with pleasure in each post), but I’ll introduce you to the first two in the series now:

:: 16 June – 3 December 2012 ::
Picasso to Warhol: Fourteen Modern Masters
The first exhibition in the series to go on display, it features over 100 masterpieces rarely seen outside the United States, including the works of modern artists such as Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Piet Mondrian, Constantin Brancusi, Fernand Léger, Marcel Duchamp, Giorgio de Chirico, Joan Miró, Alexander Calder, Jackson Pollock, Louise Bourgeois, Romare Bearden, Jasper Johns and Andy Warhol. I’ve seen some of their works when I visited New York a few years ago, but I can’t wait to get reacquainted with them.

:: 28 January – 12 May 2013 ::
Picturing New York: Photographs from the Museum of Modern Art
I’m brimming with excitement about this exhibition, perhaps even more than the ‘Picasso to Warhol’ one as I have a more intimate relationship with photographs. This exhibition is described as ‘Depicting the iconic New York and the idiosyncratic details that define New Yorkers’ sense of home’. This sounds so fascinating to me, this idea of ‘home’ in the vast city – especially a city that is so well-known and considered to be a type of ‘prototype’ for the city-landscape. This exhibition includes works by Henri Cartier-Bresson, Walker Evans, Lewis Hine, Helen Levitt, Cindy Sherman, Alfred Stieglitz and Weegee. Basically, it’s a collection of some of the best twentieth-century urban photography.

All the ticketing, exhibitions and events details are available here, and The Art Gallery of Western Australia has also created a blog which I hope will be updated with some interesting information about all the exhibitions as they come to Perth. I’m so excited about this, and as silly as it sounds, I’m also proud that these collections are coming here.

Image sources: All the images from the above collage are courtesy of The Art Gallery of Western Australia. The second image is, Picasso draws a vase of flowers with light, 1949, Gjon Mili—Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images.


Mariella said...

wow it sounds wonderful, wish I could treat myself with a little trip to Perth..

Nit said...

What a wonderful exhibit!!! I'm jelous, it's been a long time since I've seen anything by Picasso... (You know, sometimes I forget how lucky I am, in the art sense, to live where I live, everything in Europe is in easy distance! Well, Perth not so much XP )

Naomi Bulger said...

If ever I needed another reason to visit Perth, this is it. I'm particularly interested in the
"Picturing New York" show. I know from my own experience living in New York, how surprised I was that I so quickly found a sense of home and community in such an environment. Often I question why I felt this way, and how. I'd like to see this through the eyes of others.

Siubhan said...

Wow, how incredible. I look forward to reading your posts on the exhibitions.

The Picturing New York show does sound fantastic – from what I've seen of New York so far, New Yorkers seem to have a very different sense of 'home' than we do in England for example. I find it very interesting that although large cities are so similar in so many ways, the way their inhabitants live within them is often so different.

Rambling Tart said...

What excellent exhibits to look forward to. :-) I love wandering through galleries and exhibits like this. I went to our tiny one in Warwick and although it held no masters, it was inspiring nonetheless. I shall look forward to your reviews of what you see. :-)

Hila said...

Mariella: I wish you could too, I think you'd love these exhibitions. And congratulations again on your own exhibition!

Nit: I envy people in Europe who can just hop to the next city and see great art. Perth is so far away from everything, including other states within Australia :)

Naomi: I felt that way too when I visited New York. It's such a vast sort of city, yet with pockets of 'home'. And I wondered why that is too. So I can't wait for that exhibition.

Siubhan: you've just reminded me that I must visit your blog to see how your New York travels are going! I hope you're having the best time. When I was in England, I felt that 'home' as a concept was very much tied up with tradition and a certain vision of Britain set up against the growing multi-culturalism I saw in larger cities in the UK. I guess New York, with its bevy of different cultures, has created a more diverse sense of 'home'. Or I may be talking nonsense here ... :) Also, I guess the literal homes - the houses and apartments - are so very different in some respects, and that changes your concept of what 'home' is.

Rambling tart: it's very rare we get to look forward to such exhibitions here in Perth, I can't believe this art is coming here!

Jo said...

Oh I wish I could go to this. Sadly being thousands of miles away from both Perth & New York doesn't help. I very much look forward to your reviews.

Kate said...

what a fantastic series you have to look forward to! I have a feeling you'll be an engaging guide so I look forward to touring the exhibitions through your eyes.

Hila said...

Jo: I understand that predicament!

Kate: thank you, I hope I'll do them justice.