Votes, Wares and a Cat named Henri

Written on the Body

A pretty self-explanatory title for my post today, I must be losing my metaphorical touch. In any case, I have a few lovely things to share. Firstly, I want to say a huge thank you to Odessa who sent me this signed copy of Jeanette Winterson's Written on the Body. Odessa knows Winterson is one of my favourite authors, and she recently got the chance to meet her in person and hear her speak about her writing. How amazing is that? I wish I could have been there with you, Odessa. I think with all the critiquing of negativity on the internet I've been doing lately, it was definitely necessary for me to receive this reminder that blogging has also put me in touch with some of the kindest people, who have truly become my friends. I consider Odessa to be my friend, and I'm so glad our respective blogs brought us together.

The voting for The Sydney Writers' Centre Best Australian Blogs 2012 competition opened today. You might remember I blogged about this here, explaining why I entered this competition. I don't normally put myself out there for these things, and if I'm being really honest, I'm kind of nervous about this. I would really appreciate it if anyone who happens to like reading my blog would take the time to vote for me here. The competition is primarily based on the quality of the writing on the blog.

The instructions on how to vote are on this page, and they're pretty clear. The blogs are listed alphabetically on the voting pages, and my blog is listed under the letter 'L' as (on page three of the five voting pages):

le projet d'amour http://hila-lumiere.blogspot.com/

The competition badge on my sidebar also takes you directly to the voting pages. And also, if you could spread the word (whichever way you want to - via Twitter [the competition hash-tag is #bestblogs2012], Facebook, on your own blog, etc.) that would be very much appreciated as well. I'm up against some stiff competition in The People's Choice Award, and I need to give it my very best shot. You have my thanks and gratitude in advance! The voting closes on Wednesday 9 May 2012.

Another thing I don't normally do is share the wares I covet. That's because ladies such Anabela, Diana, Jane, Jen and Kate are already so great at showcasing wares in such creative ways, I often feel I should leave it to the experts. But there are three particular things that have caught my attention that I feel like sharing, if only to get it out of my system as I can't afford to buy them at the moment:

Light as a Feather: Venus

roses

You've probably already seen Fieldguided's new Light as a Feather scarf collection, which Anabela blogged about here. My first instinct was to think of Stevie Nicks when I saw these. I also had a small toddler-tantrum moment of 'why don't I ever have money when I want something?' I love scarves, they are such sensual things to have on your body, and they carry a sense of comfort and protection on cold days. My favourite scarf from the collection is the Venus one.

Light Study (Original Painting) by Jeremy Miranda

il_fullxfull.328131206

I was fascinated by this painting as soon as I saw it. It reminds me of those hazy sunsets we have here in Western Australia, where you go to the beach in the early evening in summer to gaze at the softening light on the water. In those moments, I forget how hot the weather can be here and appreciate the beauty of the landscape in my own backyard. I would love to hang this painting on my wall as a reminder.

Bal D'Afrique Eau de Parfum by BYREDO

zoom

I immediately wanted this perfume when I read its description:

A warm and romantic vetiver inspired by Paris in the late 20's and its infatuation with African culture, art, music and dance. A mix of the Parisian avantgardism and African culture shaped a unique and vibrant expression.

The description reminded me of a book about Parisian culture's fascination with Orientalism and African culture in the 1920s as part of the Modernist movement, a subject I'm interested in. The idea of a perfume linked to an era and a literary cultural movement seems so appealing.

And wait, did I mention a cat named Henri? Why yes, I did. In case you haven't met this morose but hilarious feline, here's an introduction:



I bet Henri reads Sartre. We could have grand discussions on existentialism, followed by prolonged periods of brooding.

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks for your votes in advance!