On the Road

On the Road

On the Road

I reviewed On the Road a while back, but I'm re-reading it now after viewing the trailer for its film adaptation countless times. I'll never get tired of this particular quote. A lot of people have told me they're afraid to see the film in case it ruins the memory of the book for them. I'm not sure I care whether I end up disappointed by the film or not. A film adaptation can never really ruin a book for me, because even if I don't like an interpretation of a particular novel on screen, it nevertheless compels me to return to the original text and examine it anew. And I really hope that the film version of On the Road will inspire a new generation of readers for Jack Kerouac. I still remember that electric feeling of first reading his work all those years ago.

Image sources: the first is a film still from On the Road, found via The Beat Museum. The second image is my own.