Best Australian Blogs 2012 Competition

Thursday, 15 March 2012

bw1

Last night, a few friends of mine convinced me to enter The Sydney Writers' Centre Best Australian Blogs 2012 competition. I was reluctant to enter because I tried last year and failed miserably. My little blog had to compete with big name blogs, some of which are run by famous people. Considering the amount of great and better-known blogs out there, I think I was a bit delusional in thinking I could win anything. This sounds defeatist, I know. I'm not, I'm just trying not to get my hopes up this year.

My blog is now officially nominated in two categories: the commentary category, which is chosen by a judge, and the People's Choice Award category, which is chosen by the public and readers. The categories chosen by judges are ostensibly awarded based on the quality of the writing on the blog. Since this is a writing competition, I hope that's what the People's Choice Award will be based on too, but I know that realistically, it will be based more on popularity. So I would really love your support when it comes to voting for this.

The voting officially commences for the People's Choice Award on 13 April, 2012, and once it's open, I'll write a post with details on how to vote. But in the meantime, any support you can give me by spreading the word and showing some love for my blog would be much appreciated!

I should mention the reason I'm entering this competition. I'm not one for blog competitions because I realise they're primarily based on popularity. My blog is probably never going to be a 'big name' blog. That's okay, I've always been cool with that. The reason I'm putting myself out there for this competition however is because winning it would give me the opportunity to take some writing courses at The Sydney Writers' Centre. I know from fellow writer friends that they've found such courses enormously helpful for their writing careers, as well as a great personal opportunity to connect with other writers and mentors. That's my aim. Although I know my chances of winning in either categories are rather slim, I have to try.

17 comments:

Mariella said...

Just tell us when and how to vote, we'll do the rest! You so deserve this!!

Sarah Rooftops said...

Good luck! The courses sound great.

Chuck said...

I will be right there (as will many of your readers, I'm sure). Just let us know when and how. x

rooth said...

Best of luck to you Hila!

elliottwithlove said...

I hope you win, Hila! What an amazing opportunity it would be to take courses at the writing center! Good luck! I'll vote for you come April. :)

Kelly said...

I will be very happy to cast my vote next month! I can't recall now how I even found your blog a few months ago, but glad I did. (And this is also making me realize my Reader is very lacking in other Australian blogs.)

Sasha said...

I'll add to the chorus of support! You deserve this!

Blaze said...

That's awesome! Good luck!!

Gabi said...

You writing is beautiful and thoughtful, and even if it doesn't win a prize, it deserves to be put out there, to be considered.
“It is very hard to be brave," said Piglet, sniffing slightly, "when you're only a Very Small Animal."

Rabbit, who had begun to write very busily, looked up and said: "It is because you are a very small animal that you will be Useful in the adventure before us.”
― Benjamin Hoff, The Te Of Piglet

Jen said...

Hi Hila,

If it's voting for the writing component - you most certainly have my vote!

If it's to win writing courses at The SWC - well, you have my vote there too. What a great prize that would be.

You may be surprised how many votes you do get :)

Naomi Bulger said...

I was on your blog just yesterday and saw the badge, so I clicked through to vote. I will be ready, voting-finger poised on 13 April. And in the meantime, I will happily spread the word. You absolutely deserve this recognition and opportunity.

deconstructingthegirl said...

Good luck to you Hila! Your blog is great!

Hila said...

Thank you everyone for your support! I will definitely let you know when the voting starts.

Gabi: I love that quote!

Dee said...

I'm so glad you entered Hila. I find both your blog and writing very inspiring and I wish you all the best! You've got my vote.

anne louise said...

of course i will vote for you because i love your blog, but this is mostly because you are a wonderful writer.

good luck

Tracey said...

I always love this competition, and will be supporting you all the way! :)

Hila said...

Thanks guys - and fingers crossed! I would love to take those writing courses.