Tagged

Tuesday, 3 January 2012

me, when i was little

I was tagged by the lovely Joy last year (I can't believe I just typed 'last year'). It has taken me a while to do this tag, so I do apologise to Joy. But it's better late than never. Since I've done so many of these tags over the past few years of blogging, I doubt that there's any mystery left about me when it comes to random facts. I'll give it my best shot, but I'm afraid I will have to cheat on some of the rules ...

: : Rules:

1. You must post these rules (okay then, done).
2. Each per­son must post 11 things about them­selves on their blog (check).
3. Answer the ques­tions the tag­ger set for you in their post, and cre­ate 11 new ques­tions for the peo­ple you tag to answer (questions answered, but I don't have the energy at the moment to create new ones).
4. You have to choose 11 peo­ple to tag and link them on the post (er, sorry, going to skip this one - I've tagged way too many people in the past).
5. Go to their page and tell them you have linked him or her (sorry again).
6. No tag backs (and again).
7. No stuff in the tag­ging sec­tion about ‘you are tagged if you are read­ing this.’ You legit­i­mately have to tag 11 people (my, we are insistent with the rules, aren't we? I'm a rebel, I say no).

: : 11 Things About Me:

1. I was born in Ramat-Gan, Israel.

2. My first name (Hila) means something like 'aura' in Hebrew, and my last name (Shachar) means 'dawn'. Our last family name was largely my grandfather's invention however, as he changed it from Wiesenstern to the more Israeli-sounding 'Shachar'.

3. I've been told I have various types of accents when I speak certain words in English. They range from American, English to oddly, Russian accents. I personally don't get it. The only time I've heard myself speak is through recorded lectures and I sound like I have a subtle Australian accent when speaking English, which makes sense.

4. It's a joke in my family that physically, I'm a cross between three women: my two grandmothers and my great-grandmother. I inherited dark eyes and hair from my Moroccan grandmother, fair European skin that burns readily in Australia from my Polish grandmother and my small body structure from my tiny, waif-like great-grandmother. That's where our similarities end however as she gave birth to 14 children, and I have no intention of doing that!

5. I used to devour Sweet Valley High and V. C. Andrews books when I was little. My brother still makes fun of me for this literary crime.

6. The first band I obsessed about was Guns n' Roses, courtesy of my brother's influence.

7. I'm deeply superstitious of writing in the last page of a notebook, and I always leave it blank.

8. I love everything about the sight, smell and taste of peaches - including their name. The word just rolls off your tongue like something sweet.

9. I am so very bad at accepting compliments, and I fear I hurt people's feelings who so graciously offer them. I respond better to (constructive) criticism, because it fires me up and doesn't make me feel like a fraud.

10. I really think I'm way too sensitive, and would prefer not to be.

11. I can devour a huge bowl of chips but eating a handful of sweets makes me feel quite sick.

: : And now for Joy's questions:

1. If you could be anyone for a day (could be fictional/historical), who would it be?
I don't really have a specific person in mind when it comes to such questions because I basically want to enter the head of many smart people and poke around in their brains for a while. I'm really curious by the process of music composition, so I suppose I'd like to be a composer for a day.

2. Field Notes or Moleskines?
Moleskines, I have many.

3. What is the last thing you ate?
Toast with butter and honey.

4. If you can be anywhere you want right now, where would it be?
In my aunt's holiday house in Brittany. Her husband inherited this house from his family and it's one of my favourite places on earth.

5. If you could go back in time and change any historical event, what would it be?
I wouldn't, I'd probably just mess everything up.

6. What is your favourite piece of clothing in your wardrobe right now?
A pair of nondescript black ballet shoes and a large black jumper, left behind by an old boyfriend. Both are well-worn and well-loved.

7. Which would you prefer if you had to pick either one, Zara or H&M?
Honestly, there's not much difference to me.

8. Morning person or night owl?
I write and think better really early in the morning, but I sometimes have bursts of creativity in the middle of the night. I'm more of a morning person, but night can be productive too.

9. What is the last thing you do before you go to bed?
Well, that depends on who happens to be in bed with me (ahem). If I'm alone, I usually read.

10. Favourite smell in the world? (No perfumes allowed)
If you get right close to them, most people smell delicious at the nape of their neck. It must be a combination of natural smell and shampoo. Mind you, this doesn't apply to smelly people on public transportation.

11. Most important lesson learnt in 2011?
Stress less. Unless it really is the end of the world, nothing is that bad.

P.S. Yes, the photo above is of mini-me. And thanks so much for responding with such kindness to my New Year 'Poem'.

17 comments:

rooth said...

Aww, that's the cutest picture - delight at the beach!

Nancy Baric *negfilm said...

oh this is/was fun! ;))

and #11 totally me!

Jessica Sue said...

I was obsessed with Guns 'n Roses when I was in high school. I remember having an (amiable) argument with a stranger at a party at the time, stating that Appetite for Destruction is the greatest album of all time. I've since changed my mind, although I still listen to them every now and then.

Joy said...

no need to apologize. so glad you got round to it for the new year :D it was so much fun reading it.

nancy said...

I find these question-and-answer posts oddly comforting! I can relate to the awkward inability to gracefully accept compliments... criticism feels much more honest.

I wish you all the best for 2012 :) it's been wonderful to read your thoughts and ideas - you have an amazing gift in writing the way you do. I look forward to reading more of your blog in the future.

P.S - Thank you for your very thoughtful comment on my blog. I cried for three days straight! It's somewhat comforting (as horrible as this sounds) to know that other people experienced such profound sadness at the loss of their pets, too.

Monica said...

thoroughly enjoyed reading this Hila.

i am also accused of different accents. i have a mixture of Australian and English and something of my own.

i did the v andrews reading too. lol

hope 2012 brings you wonderful things.

Maša said...

you're quite interesting! I thought you were a native english speaker. :)

Maša said...

I've just read some more about you (I'm still a new reader of your blog). I'm also studying cultural studies so I find your research work extremely interesting. :D btw, there is only one person in Slovenia with a doctorate from cultural studies. :)

Enia Is (Almost) Here said...

ah yes, stress less. that photo is a wonderful encapsulation of that. may it be a great and happy year ahead for you my friend. and thanks for sticking by me :)

ps. working on the toast catalogue!

Petra said...

ha, the first band I ever obsessed about was Guns n' Roses, and I don't have a big brother to blame ;)

Tana said...

it made me smile to read these little facts about you! Mini-you is so lovely :)

See Hear Say said...

very enjoying reading more about yourself hila! lol i used to be addicted to sweet valley high too when i was a kid (and sweet valley junior i think?) hahahaha

naomemandeflores said...

You look so happy there in the sand. Adorable. I need to work on that "stress less" goal. Such a good advice for this new year.


Camila Faria

Hotly Spiced said...

I love the beach photo. I love peaches too - what a great fruit with so many uses.

hila said...

rooth: thanks!

nancy: I suspect we have more in common :)

jessica sue: ha, a worthy disagreement. As tragically 80s as they were, at least their lyrics were halfway decent.

joy: thanks again for tagging me!

nancy: I know how you feel, you poor thing. losing a pet is just awful - you love them to bits, yet it's somehow not acceptable to mourn for them the way you mourn for people. of course, I'm not suggesting the loss is the same, but it's still a loss. I hope you feel better soon!

monica: I don't get the accent thing, but then it's hard to be objective about yourself.

masa: really, only one? that's so strange. and yep, I'm not a native english-speaker, my first language was hebrew.

enia/maja: don't worry, no rush :) may it be a great year for you too.

petra: I have my brother to blame for so many things :)

tana: thank you!

see hear say/laura: oh yes! I forgot about the junior version. I read those too - so tragic. and then I read the series where they went to college, and it became even more tragic.

camila: let's hope I stick to the 'stress less' mantra.

hotly spiced: I just wish I could cook/bake better and actually do more stuff with it.

Laura said...

Stress less has to be my new mantra for the year! Thanks for sharing these facts :)

hila said...

laura: my pleasure :)