Valeria Heine

Wednesday, 16 November 2011

valeria1

valeria2

valeria3

valeria4

valeria5

valeria6

valeria7

valeria8

valeria9

valeria10

valeria11

valeria12

valeria13

My art is all about light, simplicity, and warmth. ... I'm interested in the shapes and textures created by light and shadow and I love taking pictures indoors using minimal sunlight. Photos of empty spaces and lone subjects feel the most personal to me and I like the intimacy they provide. I generally focus on the smaller details such as parts of bodies, leaving the rest of the scene to the imagination and allowing others to put themselves in the photo by keeping faces obscured.

-Valeria Heine

As soon as I read Valeria Heine's description of her photography on her website, I felt an innate connection. I've already confessed my own fascination with light, and browsing through Valeria's photos is like encountering images that exist in my head. And of course, she's incredibly talented. Her photos are beguilingly simple, but anyone who has tried to capture the kind of details she does knows how hard it is. There's an almost classical purity to the images she creates, which reminds me of the sculptural beauty of ancient art. What I would give to be able to take such photos.

If you'd like to see more of her work, visit her website and flickr. She also sells prints in her etsy store. Thank you Valeria, for letting me feature your beautiful photography here.

All images are copyrighted to Valeria Heine and are used here with permission.

25 comments:

Nancy Baric *negfilm said...

nice light!!!

SJ said...

wow, these are stunning.

nancy said...

oh, my... these are beautiful.

Joy said...

These are incredible. She has the most amazing use of light. So glad you shared her work with us! Off to check out her prints I go!

Sasha said...

Looking through these the first thing I thought was 'the work with light is just magical.' The seeming sense of simplicity here only adds to my admiration. I really think I in love with her work now. I am off to look at more.

Sally said...

What strikes me about these is how familiar they feel. Like "Oh, my parents have that rug" or "oh, I've seen light just like that at 4:47 in my bedroom." Intimate indeed.

Great picks!

odessa said...

gorgeous! i am so in love with that second photo! and don't you just love it when you find an artist that's able to capture the images that exists in your mind? i feel that way about certain movie scenes or phrases in a poem.

Rambling Tart said...

How wonderfully warm these photos are, and intimate, and peaceful. I love them.

gracia said...

"...leaving the rest of the scene to the imagination and allowing others to put themselves in the photo by keeping faces obscured."

Yes! I love this idea... and the works too.

g xo

Monica said...

as a lover of the shadows, i always enjoy work like this.
the last 2 are the most successful i think.

Petra said...

these are stunning, thanks for sharing!!!

Tana said...

oh, yes, they are wonderful! She can captures little details, certain intimacy that looks aesthetic.

Emily Vanessa said...

Wow, these photos are amazing. I can feel the cosiness of the interiors warmed by the sun and the softness of the skin and fabric. Astoninshing the way you can see the dust particles in that one shot.

andrea despot said...

I've been following Valeria's work for awhile now and I'm so surprised that I never put two and two together! The way she captures light is SO you and I'm so glad you found her work!

Now I want to spend an hour or two browsing her photostream like I did when I first stumbled upon her work...

naomemandeflores said...

The detailing of the images is so rich. Stunning!


Camila Faria

Sundari said...

These are absolutely beautiful! Great find.

Nastya said...

these photos are amazing, thanks for posting them here!

Jane Flanagan said...

These are such beautiful shots, the one with the dust motes especially I love.

Thank you for sharing!

federica said...

Nice photos ... the light is life and thanks to it we can stop some special instants ... F.

hila said...

so much love for valeria! I'm glad you enjoyed these photos as much as I did guys.

ValeriaH said...

Thanks everyone and thank you, Hila. These are some of the most meaningful comments I've ever gotten. :)

P R I M O E Z A said...

what an eye. absolutely lovely.

hila said...

Thank YOU Valeria, I'm so glad you gave me permission.

primoeza/elizabeth: I know, right, such a great eye.

See Hear Say said...

her details are just amazing and i love the low light it makes the pictures so much more poetic.

hila said...

see hear say/laura: I'm amazed by how she manages to capture such detail in low light. Usually, when I try to do the same, my photos are just blandly dark.