Some Random Loveliness

Tuesday, 1 November 2011





Just a few random things that have caught my eye (ear, nose, heart and mind) lately, that I feel like sharing.

: : The photos above are of my lovely little lion, Kobi. Such a sweet and loyal creature, he really doesn't get enough attention on this blog. Perhaps he's as private as I am, he tends to shy away whenever I bring out my camera. I took these photos a while ago, quite proud that I managed to capture one of his favourite pastimes in the garden: eating grass. Does anyone else's cat do this? It's rather cute. The older and bigger he gets, the greener his eyes become. They used to be a shade of amber brown when I first got him as a kitten.


: : Oh Frank, I concur. Never were truer words written about feline friends. I transcribed this poem from this collection, if you're interested in reading it: The Collected Poems of Frank O'Hara, edited by Donald Allen, Berkeley: University of California Press, 1995.

green dress

: : I've been eyeing this dress by janeyclothing for quite some time, even though it's been sold. It's so pretty and understated, and there's something subtly luxurious about that shade of green.


: : I found these wonderful words on the "old book smell" via Naomi. I always knew there was a good reason why I love the smell of second-hand bookshops.

: : And I can't stop listening to this song, just like everyone else, it seems. Gotye is coming to Perth, I can't wait to see him live!

What lovely things have you stumbled upon lately?

P.S. I'm taking a small blogging break till next week, Monday. Have a great rest of the week and weekend.


Enia Is (Almost) Here said...

awww he is lovely. reminds me of my miki, who is unfortunately long gone. unsurprisingly, they look like identical twins, down to the greenness of their eyes...

P R I M O E Z A said...

kobi is lovely indeed.

the wild bunches said...

Chicco loves to eat grass, flowers and whatever is green. He also steals broccoli and salad soaking in the sink. He's definitely a veggie cat.

Monica said...

don't cats and dogs eat grass when their tummy are a bit off?

lovely finds (and senses ;) )

hope the break is everything you want it to be.

Niina said...

Nice to see pictures of him. He looks like a very intelligent companion even though he is eating grass. :-)
I work in a florist and the customers often ask about a plant that they could let their cats eat. I know thre´s atleast one - a grassy sort of bush. So perhaps this is considered normal pastime ;-)

Amelia said...

old book smell needs to be a perfume.

Petra said...

great photos. my kitties also don't get enough attention on my blog.... :)

Nancy Baric *negfilm said...

kobi is a cutie!!!
and i love frank o'hara...always.

naomemandeflores said...

Love kobi's big expressive eyes. Adorable! Frank O'Hara's quote is simply perfect.

Camila Faria

Thea said...

Your little lion is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing such loveliness with us.

CloudyKim said...

Awww, the pictures of your cat are so cute! It must be fun to watch your cat eat grass - my dog hasn't done that since she was a puppy, but there's still something mesmerizing about it.

I love the music video - so cool - and the O' Hara poem was quite charming as well. Thanks for sharing :)

Sasha said...

Your cat is gorgeous. When I still had my cat he ate grass all the time. He actually looked a bit like Kobi. I really miss having a feline around. There's nothing quite like them.

Also, old book smells are heavenly.

Naomi Bulger said...

This made me want to pick up my cat and cuddle her. Which I duly did. Happy blogging break!

rooth said...

What is the flower / plant that your cat is by? I've never seen one of those before

Tana said...

oh, a shy lovely Kobi:)perhaps the first poem for our feline friends.
The colour of this dress is amazing (as the dress itself). have a good weekend

Kimia Kline said...

i used to work as a bookbinder and restored lots of old books and always wondered why they smelled so good!

Tilly said...

Ohh he is indeed lovely! He should definetly star on your blog more hehe.

That blue dress is dreamy! I neeeeed it O_o xx

gracia said...

I love your little Lion featured here... and Omar, Olive, Misha, and even Percy the canine, all eat grass too. They love to chomp on it. It is especially amusing to watch Omar try to do this as the old boy only has a few teeth.

Enjoy your blog break, Hila.


M Violetta said...

I simply cannot - CANNOT - get enough of this song! It's a problem!

schietree said...

My family's cats were caught eating potatoes one day - raw, ripped out of the plastic bag they were in. Adorably strange.

I'm loving this song:

like the one you included it's a mood fixer.

P.S - great to see another contributer to Spilling Ink Review!

hila said...

enia/maja: it figures we'd have twin cats ;)

primoeza/elizabeth: thanks elizabeth, I certainly think so.

the wild bunches: oh that's so cute! kobi pretty much eats anything you put in front of him, he's such a glutton.

monica: hmm, I hope not. I'd hate to think of his tummy being off all the time.

niina: yes, it does sound like it's a normal pastime for cats, judging from the comments here.

amelia: agreed.

petra: I always feel bad about this. kobi is such a handsome fellow, he deserves to have an adoring public.

nancy: a super sweet cutie!

camila: they're especially cute when his pupils get all big, he looks adorable then.

thea: thanks, I love him to bits.

cloudykim: it's comforting to watch them eating grass, huh?

sasha: I'm pretty much in a co-dependent relationship with my cat. I don't think I could handle living away from him.

naomi: I hope you gave her a big smooch too.

rooth: I have no idea what it's called, sorry. it's always been in the garden.

tana: he is quite shy, just like me. It's strange how we pick pets that suit our personalities.

kimia: I know, I love finding these things out.

tilly: I'll try my best to include him in the blog more.

gracia: it sounds like a lot of furry friends do this then, which is rather nice.

m violetta: I agree, I'm listening to it non-stop.

schietree: hello fellow spilling ink contributor! I think my cat draws the line at raw potatoes, but that is adorably strange.

rebecca said...

what a beautiful kitty you have!

Sundari said...

I miss having cats about the house. I used to have a really special one that I was proud to own cause he didn't like anybody else but me. This is a nice post about all the little things you have come across. Nice. Also have fun watching Gotye.

hila said...

sundari: having a cat around the house is the most calming thing.