Saturday, 12 November 2011

Henri Cartier-Bresson


All the roofs are wet
and underneath smoke
that piles softly in
streets, tongues are
on top of each other
mulling over the night.
We lay against each other
like banks of violets
while the slate slips
off the roof into the
garden of the old lady
next door. She is my

enemy. She hates cats
airplanes and my self
as if we were memories
of war. Bah! when you
are close I thumb my
nose at her and laugh.

-"Gamin" by Frank O'Hara, from The Collected Poems of Frank O'Hara, p. 3.

A poem for the weekend, I hope everyone is having a lovely one.

Image credit: "Romania, 1975", by Henri Cartier-Bresson, found here.


Petra said...

just the right mood for this weekend. thank you. and have a great weekend yourself!

Jane Flanagan said...

Perfect for my mood today. Thank you.

andrea despot said...

I hope you have a lovely weekend too, Hila!

B said...

What a lovely poem. Thank you very much. Have a marvellous weekend.

Stephanie said...

Any time is a good time for a Frank O'Hara poem. Thanks for sharing this one :)

Amelia said...

The last verses spoke to me so much.

Yeah it looks like a Romanian train, plus the CFR kind of gave it away.

Naomi Bulger said...

Marvellous. I am reading this on a Monday and it is just the thing!

hila said...

thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it. It felt like the right sort of mood on Saturday for this poem.

Kimia Kline said...

that photo is amazing.

nancy said...

oh, wow... this poem actually left me a little overwhelmed. perfect photo, too.

hila said...

kimia: yes, I love it too.

nancy: isn't his poetry great?