Some Jane Eyre Indulgence

Monday, 17 October 2011

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

Please excuse me while I indulge in Jane Eyre, through both words and images ...

jane eyre

jane eyre

I desired liberty; for liberty I gasped; for liberty I uttered a prayer; it seemed scattered on the wind then faintly blowing. (85)

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; ... and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. (109)

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you - especially when you are near me, as now: it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame. (252)

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you. (253)

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

I care for myself, The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. (317)

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

All screengrabs are from Cary Fukunaga's Jane Eyre, all quotes are from this edition of the novel: Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre (1847), Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.

P.S. Thank you for the comments on my previous post, they mean so much to me.


Tana said...

one word: pleasure. to see the screengrabs from the film and pleasure to read the quotes.

Ella said...

What a wonderful selection of images and quotes you've chosen!
i hope you're doing well, hila! :)

Nancy Baric *negfilm said...

my mum's fav!

Joy said...

Everything is beautiful. It's too bad I loved the 2006 miniseries too much to watch this.

Caro said...

Sigh. I am practically dying to see this version. Thanks for giving me a little glimpse :)

Anna Emilia said...

Oh what patterns and expressions.

Good Monday wishes from a cloudy skied city by lakes.

Petra said...

I still haven't read Jane Eyre, I also haven't seen any screen adaptation (I assume there are more than this one)- but I think it's about time.

beautiful images & words!!

happy Monday!

Monica said...

this was a delightful way to begin my journey through blogs this Monday morn.

i've yet to see this version. tragic, i know.

Jade said...

These are really unique pictures, I feel as if they are telling a story.

Amelia said...

This is my favorite screen adaptation of the book. I think because it was slightly darker and it was kind of the way I read it.

My favorite quote from Jane Eyre is "I like this day; I like that sky of steel; I like the sternness and the stillness of the world under this frost…its antiquity, its retirements, its old crow-trees and thorn-trees." I really like it because it kind of embodies days that I also like.

Danielle P. said...

How lovely to see a few of my favourite quotes from my favourite novel so beautifully illustrated! (There's just that tiny typo in the first quote...)

Rambling Tart said...

Love these shots and snippets so very much. Just what I needed on this stormy night in Australia. :-)

rooth said...

What's wrong with making pudding? Just joking

hila said...

thanks for pointing out that mistake danielle :)

naomemandeflores said...

Breathtaking images. Breathtaking quotes!

Camila Faria

yelena bryksenkova said...

how beautiful! my favorite quote from jane eyre is:

"to this crib i always took my doll; human beings must love something, and, in the dearth of worthier objects of affection, i contrived to find a pleasure in loving and cherishing a faded graven image, shabby as a miniature scarecrow. it puzzles me now to remember with what absurd sincerity i doted on this little toy, half fancying it alive and capable of sensation. i could not sleep unless it was folded in my night-gown; and when it lay there safe and warm, i was comparatively happy, believing it to be happy likewise."

i always wanted to hug little jane warmly after reading this passage.


andrea despot said...

Love love love love love...! Feel free to keep posting more beautiful jane eyre stills! I'm so enraptured my that movie!

Sasha said...

One of my favorite books ever. I still haven't seen this adaption (still) but it looks beautiful.

odessa said...

oh, thanks for sharing these screencaps! definitely some of my favorite scenes here, especially the close-up of her clutching that book in the sunlight and everything about those scenes of her and rochester under the cherry blossoms. :)

Caitlin Rose said...

oh these make me want to watch the movie again! that scene where she is tearing off the wedding dress! absolutely captivating. I'm reading Villette right now. there's something about the bronte sisters and fall to me. maybe it's the gloominess. but on sunday it was cold and grey outside and I couldn't be more content reading it.

balladofseasons said...

I love these images Hila! Especially the second image! Oh! that dress!

thanks for posting!
cheers xo,

Naomi Bulger said...

Beautiful, beautiful. I haven't seen the movie yet and I absolutely can't wait. It's been many years since I read Jane Eyre, although I think I read it about six times in high school.

Oh and with regards to your previous post, thank you! Sometimes it is true there are no words to express such horror, but that is no excuse for silence. At the very least, we can say "There are no words, but I will stand beside you and I will remember with you." If the human race fails to own its stories, even our most shameful ones, we will cease to evolve.

tywo said...

Such beautiful screen shots.
I saw them on your flickr, and they made me feel.


Nastya said...

love this movie and the book

Liza said...

This is one of my favorite novels of all time. This particular film version surpassed my expectations in many ways, but particularly in its depiction of the English landscape.

Thanks for posting such beautiful screen caps.

Emily Vanessa said...

I saw the film in the UK about a month ago and found it so beautiful and haunting - in fact my favourite adaptation. It was also filmed in Derbyshire which makes it extra special for me. I long to re-read the book again now.

Sundari said...

I'm kicking myself. I still haven't seen this!

hila said...

ha, I'm so glad you guys enjoyed this indulgence as much as I did! and those of you who quoted from jane eyre with your favourite quotes seriously made me want to pick up the book again.