Yelena Bryksenkova

Monday, 19 September 2011

1

2

3

I've been secretly in love with the illustrations of Yelena Bryksenkova ever since I first encountered them on her etsy shop a while ago. I asked her last week if she would mind her work being featured on my blog, and thus began a lovely round of emails between us. In fact, the way she described my blog to me, is basically the way I feel about her art: “your writing and the way you compose your blog is so clean and airy, it makes me think of white sheets on a clothesline”. That's how her illustrations make me feel. There's something about her work that reminds me of Maira Kalman. Yelena has the same tendency to notice fine details and turn them into unexpected narratives. Not surprisingly, her work has been featured in many places (I always 'discover' things too late): N.E.E.T. Magazine, Bust Magazine, Amelia's Magazine, Elle Girl Korea, Design*Sponge, ... mighty impressive.

evening-solace

space

I think though what I'm most impressed about are her sketchbooks and journals. They make me envious, I wish I could record my everyday and travel moments with such skill. I usually just scribble a few words here and there, or write poems when I should be describing events. Have a peek at her sketchbooks ...

4

5

6

7

8

9

I'm so happy Yelena has also offered to participate in my “why i adore the night” challenge, it thrills me that she'll be involved. I want to say thanks to those who have also agreed to participate, some of you have already submitted work. Lightening speed creativity happening here. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. Feel free to spread the word, the more the merrier.

10

11

12

All images are copyrighted to Yelena Bryksenkova, please give her proper credit if re-blogging. Visit her blog, website and etsy shop to see more.

14 comments:

FishesMakeWishes said...

I first discovered Yelena from her sketchbooks and was blow away with the detail and beauty of her illustrations :-)

T C said...

beautiful illustrations.love every little detail :)

Rambling Tart said...

Oh wow, I just saw the first image and was immediately smitten. Love the detail and atmosphere of her work. They feel old world yet current at the same time. Beautiful.

the wild bunches said...

Yelena's work is just amazing. She never fails to impress me. And her sketchbooks...they're just perfect.

Caitlin Rose said...

All of these illustrations are lovely, but yes, the journals are so beautiful. There is just something about a picture book, or a picture journal that is so amazing. I've often tried to keep journals and make them into sort of scrap book, sketch books, but the idea is really just a romantic one to me, I never have the patience to follow through. Hers is absolutely inspiring though.

Jane Flanagan said...

Absolutely stunning work. The journals fill me with awe. What talent!

Siubhan said...

Wow that sketchbook looks like such an artifact – so timeless somehow. What a beautiful way to record your travels.

'White sheets on a clothesline' is a really beautiful phrase too, and actually describes the kind of writing that I especially enjoy reading – clear and clean and refreshing – I think you are quite right, her work is the illustration equivalent.

I particularly love the image of the universe and the phrase below it – something to try and remember!

Louise said...

Lovely work, I'll look forward to seeing Yelena's "why I adore the night" contribution. xolj

yiqin; said...

awesome photos :)

Carolina Fragoso said...

Hi, I'm a new reader of your blog, and I am really enjoying everything!!!
Each new discovery, like these illustrations by Yelena Bryksenkova, they are lovely and delicate!
Congrats to her and to you!!

hila said...

fishesmakewishes: I was blown away too, her sketchbooks are treasures.

tc: I know, right? the details are amazing.

rambling tart: you described it perfectly - old world, yet somehow modern.

the wild bunches: I totally agree.

caitlin rose: I know what you mean, I lack the patience too. I scribble a lot of writing, but sketching is a different thing.

jane falangan: I know, such incredible talent.

siubhan: that image and quote about the universe is my favourite too. Wise words to remember.

louise: me too, I'm also looking forward to your contribution :)

yiqin: I agree, her work is awesome.

Carolina: thank you!

gabylarios said...

Wow! Yelena's work is beautiful and very inspirational! Love it

E. said...

I've been a big fan of her journals for a while! Great to see them featured here!

x E.

hila said...

gabylarios: I agree!

e.: her journals are just stunning.