Weekend Links & Some Thoughts

Friday, 19 August 2011

into the wild

I'm going into writer's hibernation next week. I have a big writing deadline, and lots of other things to attend to for my book. In the midst of this, I also have to find the time to do some work on a book I'm co-editing (although reading other people's wonderful writing is hardly a chore). So a blogging break is required for the next week or two, but I won't be leaving this blog unattended. Diana from Miss Moss, Anabela from Fieldguided and Jen from Honey Kennedy will be filling this space with lots of lovely guest posts, so I'm leaving my blog in more than capable hands. Thanks so much ladies, I really appreciate it.

Before I leave, I wanted to share some things ...

I occasionally mention some of the emails I get from blog readers, and usually it's all nice, but some emails have been bothering me lately. I want to point out that I'm not raising this issue to attack anyone, that's just childish. I'm bothered by the implication of the emails, not those who sent them, and so I feel I have to make certain things clear. Basically, I'm getting a lot of questions about the 'serious' subject matter I raise on this blog, which seems to bother some people. I get that not everybody likes to read long posts, or wants to think about serious stuff when they're browsing through blogs. Fair enough. But I do. Quite simply, I blog about things I love and what I care about. These topics are not 'theory' for me, or ways of getting attention and blog traffic (I don't think I'll ever be that cynical), they are things that I consider on a daily basis in my work and that I feel warrant constant debate. I'd like to see them talked about more, not less. So this blog is not going to change in this regard.

Ok, I've said my piece. I've also been collecting a lot of links to share over the past week:

: : I blogged about the Jane Eyre film panel I participated in on leeloo.

: : My 'new' tumblr. I decided to turn my tumblr into a 'backup' or supplement to my Pinterest boards since I seem to lose pins on a regular basis. I wonder if it's just me: when I reach a certain number of pins on a Pinterest board, the ones on the bottom just disappear. Does this happen to anyone else?

: : Still love this article, no matter how many times I've read it.

: : Appalled and disgusted by this. When I made the comparison between human-trafficking and consumer culture in my previous post, I had no idea how accurate I was being.

: : New toast. As usual, their new collection is both gentle and beautiful.

: : Sundari's new website.

: : Totally digging better book titles.

: : Join the fight for marriage equality here. My good friend Sanna wrote an excellent post about this on her blog.

Have a great weekend everyone, hope it's a relaxing one.

Image credit: screencaps from Into the Wild, found here.


Nancy Baric *negfilm said...

Please do not change who you are nor the content of your blog. You are a talented writer and I appreciate what you write about. I am happy that you challenge the reader to think and debate issues. Please do not stop--otherwise the world would be pretty boring! ;))

"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart" ~ William Wordsworth

SJ said...

i read about that roger david ad in the paper this morning and i was so pissed off (for lack of a better word) with the argument they used to justify it. It doesn't matter how old the model is, the whole campaign is offensive.

enjoy your writing hibernation, winter is a good time for it!

amy said...

your blog is lovely just the way it is. x

Jasmine said...

I really enjoy reading your blog.
Thanks for sharing 'better book titles', it's hilarious!

masugn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
niclas said...

i love reading your long blog posts, but sometimes the size of the text feels a bit too small, haha. your writing is amazing though.

Christine said...

Your blog is one of the more original ones out there and it amazes me that people are taking the time to complain to you that it isn't what they want. Have a wonderful well deserved break. And thanks for the links.

Jane Flanagan said...

As I mentioned over twitter, I receive similar e-mails, as well as the opposite e-mail. The people more interested in my bookish / reflective posts sometimes complain about the "fluffier" posts and the people who come only for the fluff find the wordier posts get in the way for their insatiable hunger for eye candy.

My response is similar to yours: both represent me. I derive joy from both and they are part of me equally. When I was in academia, I didn't have much of a chance to balance both and on my blog I do, and I love that.

I hope you have a lovely weekend and have a nice break from the blog working on your book!

Olga said...

I wish you good luck with your break, and in all your projects.
It seems that you ought to consider how long and intellectual your posts are. Maybe it's better to review shades of nail polish :)

P R I M O E Z A said...

keep on with the posts hila!
good luck with all the work and enjoy too!

Sasha said...

Have a good blogging break. Hope you can knock down some of that work!

And I really enjoy everything you post so keep the long intellectual/serious posts coming.

Tracey said...

Have a lovely weekend yourself Hila, and I hope the writing hibernation goes very well indeed.

See Hear Say said...

keep doing what you're doing hila, do not change.
all the best with your book and have a nice break!!

tywo said...

Ha, do not...I repeat in the most sincere manner. Do not change your blog for any person. Life is life. We try to go the easy way to ignore things that truly matter. Luckily for some of us, your blog is here to remind us. I like your blog very much.
You asked about the boy from my previous post..we talked, then he went away. I haven't seen him since then. I hope to run into him again someday.

I hope you get your book done.


Tana said...

so many things to read while i was 'out of a blogospace' :) profit your break and reviens with your long& interesting posts. thanks for the links!

hila said...

nancy: what a great quote. and thanks xx

sj: yep, everything about it is pretty much disgusting.

amy: thank you x

jasmine: isn't it just? I had a good giggle about he wuthering heights one.

niclas: oh really? that never occurred to me - I kind of like my font size :)

christine: it's been a strange couple of weeks regarding emails, I'm not really sure what people want from me. But I'm not exactly someone who is easily swayed by opinion.

jane flanagan: I've been reading about some of the negative comments/emails you've been getting, and I'm absolutely amazed. You really don't deserve it, and I'm honestly struggling to understand where exactly it's coming from. Chin up, I love your blog, and I can tell that it's written by an intelligent woman.

olga: ha, there's nothing wrong with nail polish ;) but yeah, some of the emails are a tad superficial.

primoeza/elizabeth: thanks! I hope you're enjoying all your work too.

sasha: thanks so much!

tracey; me too, a lot of work to do.

see hear say/laura: thanks laura - and welcome back!

tywo: I have a theory that you run into certain people when the time is right. and thanks for the kind words.

tana: thank you, nice to have you back :)

gracia said...

In very good hands you have left the lucky reader. But I can't fathom those emails you are getting in regards to your blog's content. What!? is the best I can muster. And perhaps an Utter madness!

Here's to posting what you wish on your blog. Here's to long posts and short posts. Here's to interest piqued and films discussed. Here's to own enjoyment as a blogger. Here's to enjoyment felt as a reader.

elliottwithlove said...

I think it's wonderful that you write about more "serious" subject matters, and all the more that you do so because you genuinely enjoy it and think these matters worthy of people's consideration and discussion. Please keep it up! And my best wishes to you as you tackle your deadlines!

hila said...

gracia: aww thanks. Lucky thing I don't try to please everyone, isn't it? You can't win 'em all ... thanking you kindly for your encouraging words.

elliottwithlove: I do genuinely enjoy writing about these topics, and think they are incredibly important. I hope that comes through. I am a bit disappointed when people interpret the posts in a negative light, but there's nothing I can do about that. I guess that comes with the territory of blogging, and it's not my place to decide how people choose to interpret something. Thanks for the kind comment.