The Score

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

honey-kennedy-soundtracks-for-hila-03

Hello there. I'm Jen from the blog, Honey Kennedy. Thanks for having me, Hila!

I've been a bit of a film buff since I was a child and over the years I've collected quite an extensive soundtracks collection. Hila's always going on about movies, so I thought this would be a good place for me to get a little nerdy about my love for film scores. Believe it or not, this is the edited version! Are you familiar with these albums? I really hope you're able to find some new music and films to enjoy from this list.

Do you have any favorite soundtracks of all-time? It would be wonderful to hear some of your suggestions!

1. Blow-Up. This movie is one of my favorites and Herbie Hancock does a great job with the soundtrack. I'm a big fan of the Yardbirds as well. 'Stroll On' is fantastic--I ♥ Jimmy Page!

2. La Donna Invisibile by Ennio Morricone. I’m a big fan of Morricone’s work—I recommend most of his soundtracks, but this is my personal favorite. Dusty Groove has a giant Ennio Morricone selection, but not this CD.

3. Bedazzled. It's so fun--just fantastic to hear Peter Cook sing on the theme song. This movie is so silly.... such great 60’s Brit camp.

4. La Dolce Vita. Nino Rota is just incredible. I love this Fellini film so much and the music is just perfect.

5. Girl On A Motorcycle. You can't get much cooler than Marianne Faithfull and Alain Delon! Les Reed is wonderful.

6. Beat Girl. All hail John Barry! I love so much of his work, but this is one of my favorites.

7. Touch of Evil. Henry Mancini had his hand in so many great films during the 1950's and 1960's. Touch of Evil is an incredible film and I feel that this is his best work.

8. Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud (Elevator to the Gallows). Miles Davis was in his early 20's and in France. He improvised this soundtrack in an abandoned building with some jazz greats. So amazing!!!

9. Harold and Maude. You have to love Cat Stevens to love this soundtrack--it was never released, but you can find the songs on Stevens' albums.

10. Twin Peaks. OK, this is a television soundtrack, but I couldn't not mention the Angelo Badalamenti and Julee Cruise masterpiece.

11. Anna. This is also a television soundtrack. Serge Gainsbourg. Anna Karina. Enough said.

12. Rosemary's Baby. Krzysztof Komeda is a genius. This is one of my all-time favorite movies and soundtracks.

13. A Room with a View. I have such a weakness for this film. I love Puccini and Kiri Te Kanawa does such a gorgeous job.

14. Marie Antoinette. This one just grabs fistfuls of my heartstrings and tugs, tugs, tugs. SWOON.

15. Forbidden Planet. Groundbreaking for its time. The world of film scores owes a lot to Bebe Barron and Louis Barron, the experimental duo behind this masterpiece.

Thanks! I've mostly linked to Amazon, but I'd encourage you to do more thorough internet searches (and library) to find alternative sources for these albums. You can find a lot of them on vinyl--if you're into that! If you love music, you might also enjoy the mixes I post on 8tracks--I use a lot of songs from soundtracks.

: : Guest post by Jen from Honey Kennedy : :

16 comments:

Teresa said...

Fabulous post Jen! I adore movie soundtracks and Marie Antoinette is one of my favourites. I'll definitely be checking a few of your recommendations. Thanks!

anabela / fieldguided said...

THE GRADUATE!!!

anabela / fieldguided said...

(Obvs pretty enthusiastic about one of my personal faves!)

Darcy said...

Love that Twin Peaks soundtrack. It can set the perfect creepy mood.

Sidsel T. said...

I was a few months old when Twin Peaks aired for the first time, I've been watching it for some time now and I must say it has the best sountrack a tv show ever had, in my opinion. Love the other movie sountracks too!

Anonymous said...

For me Michael Nyman is the King of film soundtracks see; 'The End of the Affair', 'The Piano', 'The Cook,the Thief, his Wife and her Lover' and the most beautiful adaptations he did of his own work for the documentary 'Man on Wire'.

julie said...

Hi Jen, I share your love of Room with a View and actually went to Italy because of it!

naomemandeflores said...

I adore soundtracks, especially if I really love the movie. Thanks for all the amazing recomendations!


Camila Faria

etoilee8 said...

You've inspired me to do this on my blog this morning! Your choices are so good!

Akvilina said...

Great post! Thank you for all the great suggestions!
Looking forward to keeping up with the new contributors to this amazing blog!

Sasha said...

I love soundtracks so much. My two favorites at the moment are from Amelie and Inglourious Basterds. They put me in a writing mood!

banana meet-cute said...

I love film soundtracks, these recommendations are great for me as the only one I have is Marie Antoinette. I love Wes Anderson's film soundtracks, and Damon Albarn and Michael Nyman's Ravenous score is another fave!

Mo @ mofunkdesignsblog said...

I'll definitely have to check out these choices. I have so many, but The Virgin Suicides soundtrack introduced me to Air. I always love the music from Gladiator, and that led me to Dead Can Dance. I cry when I hear the beautiful oboe in the Mission and that introduced me to Ennio Morricone.

Mallory said...

jen. i am the biggest soundtrack nerd EVER. although, i think i'm even more of a nerd because you seem to like the soundtracks to "cool" old / classy movies.... and a portion of my tastes are somewhat less "impressive" to admit, haha. but. yes. i share the soundtrack love. i think i bought my first film score at about 7 years old.

faves - the shining, little women, old disney movies like peter pan and the jungle book, the graduate, about a boy, american graffiti, marie antoinette, atonement (the typewriter key clicks are such a wonderful addition), the aviator, the cider house rules, clue, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, edward scissorhands, finding neverland, fantastic mr. fox, harriet the spy... the home alone score is my idea of perfect holiday music. i could go on (i just made it to the h's in my itunes library) but that would be extreme. i should do a soundtrack post on my own blog.

Sally said...

Everyone above has about covered mine, so I'll just add Hair. Although it's a musical, so I'm not sure if that counts. :)

hila said...

such a good post jen! I have cheesy favourite soundtracks like the ones for 'fame' and 'dirty dancing' :) but I also love the soundtracks to films like 'amelie', 'three colours' (blue and red), 'the governess', 'into the wild', 'cold mountain', ... I could go on forever.

you are awesome lady, thanks for the post.