Jane Eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

jane eyre

I've been getting a lot of requests to review the new Jane Eyre film ever since I mentioned I'll be speaking in a pre-screening premiere panel on it. I have seen the film and I absolutely loved it. I thought it was intelligent, visually evocative, well-acted and sensitive. I also think it lived up to the strength of Jane's words in the novel:

I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself.

-Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre (1847), Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000, p. 317.

I have so much to say about this version of Jane Eyre, especially as I've seen just about every film version of the novel. But alas, I'll have to keep my thoughts and ideas to myself for the time being as they belong within the pages of my book and I can't reveal them till it's published next year. Thanks so much for all the lovely emails requesting a review though, I'm sorry I can't offer a full one at this stage. I will say this though: the actress who plays Jane, Mia Wasikowska, is just astounding. I only wish half the actresses out there had her ability to capture emotion so well, and displayed her level of depth. I don't think this film would have been quite as memorable without her performance.

All images are from here and are copyrighted to Focus Features.