An Evening Sea, 1931

Wednesday, 29 June 2011

the piano

the mystery of the poem

The lovely Thea from Spoonful Zine has sent me this beautiful poem. I've come to the conclusion that Thea and I are kindred spirits, and we're also working on a little something together for Spoonful, the details of which I shall divulge later. I hope you don't mind Thea, that I'm posting about this poem. Unfortunately, neither of us know who the poem is by, but it's too beautiful not to share. But more importantly, I'm hoping that by posting it, someone out there will recognise the words and be able to tell me who wrote it. Thea found the poem in a cafe in Jerusalem. I've got a feeling like I've encountered these words before. And another wonderful blog reader of mine also sent me a poem today. Thank you so much, I can't imagine receiving anything nicer.

Image credit: film still from Jane Campion's The Piano (1993), found here.

EDIT: I found it! I turned my bookcases upside down all morning, and it figures that I would only discover the poem's author straight after I post about it. The initials 'L.D.' stand for Lawrence Durrell. I have a tattered Faber copy of his poetry tucked away behind Shelley and Keats, quite appropriate really.


odessa said...

that image + poem is perfection together! and yes, the poem is so wonderful, especially the first line. thanks for sharing, hila! :)

Lyndall said...

That poem goes perfectly with the mood of 'The Piano'~

I love the Thomas Hood sonnet Ada quotes in the movie too:

'There is a silence where hath been no sound,
There is a silence where no sound may be,
In the cold grave--under the deep deep sea'

Rebeccak said...

What a gorgeous poem - and well done for finidng the poet!

sara said...

lovely photo and poem pairing, the abandoned piano is beautiful and so are the words.
i'm excited to hear what the two of you are working on for spoonful!

Christine said...

It always amazes me how perfectly your images match the words you share! An absolutely beautiful poem. Will have to find more from him.

thea said...

I absolutely agree :) I knew you'd love it the moment I read your post about the sea and writing on it.

Oh it's so so exciting to know who it's by now!!! A whole realm of poetry is waiting for me - gasp!!!


Sundari said...

Oh that movie was divine. I'm really such a fan of Jane Campion, the more I see her work the more breathtaking it is. By the way if you look at the poster for 'Sleeping Beauty' it has 'Jane Campion presents' on it..weird.

That poem is lovely. I love that blog friends become so helpful like this.

Tracey said...

A beautiful poem ... and I adore Thea (and spoonful), so I must thank you for posting this as it reminded my to renew my subscription. :)

PS. I can't quite believe that I've never watched 'The Piano' ... !!!

aldrin said...

i like the idea of catching words in the sea.

Sasha said...

Beautiful poem. I think I could just stare at those wonderful words for such a long time.

naomemandeflores said...

Really beautiful. I sense you have a fascination for the sea, I am right?

Camila Faria said...

perfect. image/poem...your accompanying words.
love it all.

Amelia said...

Ah, this is lovely.

Deni said...



Deni said...



Neon Noose said...

The picture looks so mysterious and haunting.

CloudyKim said...

No way! I can't believe you happened to own that poet's book. That's amazing in itself *is impressed*

The photo is lovely, as well as the poem. Thanks for sharing :D

Tana said...

perfect both the image and the poem!

hila said...

odessa: my pleasure :)

lyndall: yes, I was thinking the same thing when I posted this :)

rebeccak: thanks! I'm so glad I found it.

sara: all will be revealed soon :)

christine: thanks so much.

thea: the thanks all go to you, kindred spirit :)

sundari: I haven't looked at the sleeping beauty poster yet, how strange to have campion on it. hmm, will have to check it out - thanks for letting me know.

tracey: oh you must see the piano! you won't regret it.

aldrin: me too :)

sasha: that's precisely what I did.

camila: you are totally right :)

katie, amelia and deni: thanks!

neon noose: I agree, that's why I love it.

cloudykim: you should see the mess I created looking for it! you wouldn't be impressed then ;)

tana: perfect is the word!

bronwyn said...

Such a lovely poem. How lucky to have found it in your bookcase. And I don't think a mess made of books is a mess at all.

tywo said...

Ha, you have described this so well. I look at these images, and I am intrigued.The images are so simple, yet haunting.


hila said...

bronwyn: I agree, no mess to worry about, in any case :)

tywo: thanks!