Preoccupations

1

2

3

I've been enormously preoccupied by numerous things this week, the first being Gemma Arterton's performance in the BBC's 2008 version of Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Her performance as Tess is the first one that has made me feel for any of Hardy's characters, I usually find them oppressive and harrowing. I really must buy the DVD of this adaptation and analyse it properly. Has anyone seen it? (All Gemma Arterton images are from here.)

4

I've been browsing images of writing spaces and instantly feel in love with this garden shed study by Sue Kwiatkowska. Look at all those penguins! I'd love to sit in such a room, or visit the world's most inspiring bookshops.

5

7

8

Don DeLillo, New York City, 1990s

I also can't stop myself from constantly returning to the wonderful blog, Writers and Kitties. Perhaps you should peruse this blog while reading Claire's addictive bloggers + cats series, which I adore.

9

Lastly, aren't these photos of Jim Morrison and Pam Courson just mesmerising?

I think it's time I announce the winner of my book giveaway. I'm sorry you've all had to wait so long, but I wanted to be fair. The winner is ... Laura! Congrats Laura, I'll be in touch with you soon. Thanks so much to everyone who entered and for the amazing film tips - what a treat it's been to read all your favourite films. And more importantly, thanks so much for the kind words.

I have a feeling the most pressing preoccupation for me this weekend will be writing though, as I have a huge deadline on Monday. I hope your weekend will be more relaxing than mine.