George Eastman House Collection

Monday, 30 May 2011

1

Bleecker st. by James Jowers, 1968.

2

St. Marks Place by James Jowers, 1968.

3

Tompkins Sq. Park by James Jowers, 1967.

4

st. Marks Pl. by James Jowers, 1968.

5

Tompkins Sq. Park by James Jowers, 1967.

6

Pink roses in vase by G.W. O'Grady, ca. 1915.

7

American Cyanamid, Girl & Lamb by Nickolas Muray, 1946.

8

Woman in greenhouse by Mrs. Benjamin F. Russell, ca. 1910.

I stumbled upon the beautiful George Eastman House Collection on flickr through Natalie, and I can't stop browsing through the collection's photographs. The way each photograph captures both a sense of intimacy and historical significance is just incredibly touching and involving.

I'd like to say a very big thank you to everyone who has commented on my previous post. I'm slowly reading through the comments, and trying to soak all the kindness in. Honestly, I didn't mean for this to become a post only about me, but I was hoping that by sharing my own doubts, it would help us all talk about these thoughts in a more honest manner. I do really appreciate everyone's support, you sure know how to make a girl feel wanted!

And guess what? Frankie Magazine has featured my book with Amy on their website! This is a most wonderful start to the week.

16 comments:

Teresa said...

Such a fabulous collection! That Nickolas Muray photo in particular, is one of my favourites.

If Jane said...

i agree with teresa...such a fabulous and important collection!

Tana said...

Splendid, stunning it leaves a deep feeling, vivid impressions after watching these amazing photographs, like you live these moments. personally, j`adore the 1st and the 3d photos.
Congratulations on featuring your book in a mag!
Have a wonderful day full of more good news:)

P R I M O E Z A said...

big congrats on frankie!

and on previous post, hila, take comfort in the fact that EVERYONE has self doubt. you can either let it cripple you or use it as fuel to become a better writer/painter/designer/person.... i think you're doing the latter.

Felix Curds said...

congrats on Frankie Hila! I look forward to seeing your book on the site haha! Oooh and these photos are gorgeous, ima check out that flickr now. Bye:)

Dichotomous Darling said...

Congratulations on the frankie feature! That's exciting.

These photos are just beautiful. Your blog has quickly become one of my favorites. Everything you post is beautiful and inspiring.

Hope your week stays excellent!

Emily Vanessa said...

Congrats on the feature, you so deserve it! Thanks so much for sharing this, I simply love all these photos, the roses are especially haunting. Take care.

The Tame Lion said...

Absolutely fantastic!
Thanks for sharing, I was totally obsessed.

Jazzy E (hivenn) said...

so amazing. x hivenn

Christine said...

What a beautiful find! Congrats on the feature.

naomemandeflores said...

Really beautiful! Thanks for sharing your amazing finds with us, it's always so rewarding to come here.

Love,
Camila F.

hila said...

teresa: I know! my favourite one is the third one down, what a great shot.

if jane: agreed!

tana: thank you sweetie!

elizabeth/primoeza: thanks so much, I sincerely hope I'm doing the latter. I don't get discouraged too often, or too quickly.

felix curds: be prepared for some procrastination when you check out their flickr account, it's addictive.

dichotomous darling: thanks so much, you're so sweet.

emily vanessa: I know, that photo of the roses is incredibly haunting - I wonder why that is?

the tame lion and hivenn: agreed!

Christine: thanks!

camila: I always like visiting your blog too.

andrea said...

I haven't read this yet, but I saw the title and went "AHHHHH!" out loud. I love me some Angela Carter.

Sweet Ronit said...

Congrats on the feature! Wonderful indeed.

I'm from Rochester, and grew up visiting the George Eastman House. His democratizing of photography I find so incredibly inspiring (it's actually the basis of a photo education/community empowerment project I'm working on). I recommend watching the PBS documentary of his life, if you can find it.

Tracey said...

Oh those images are glorious Hila. I can certainly see why you'd want to keep browsing away.

I was so happy to see the frankie website feature the work of you and Amy ... it makes so much sense for your wonderful work to reach as many readers and viewers as possible.


PS. Sorry I've been so slack on my commenting here, I'm taking some time to catch up on your posts, so apologies for being behind the times.

xx

hila said...

andrea: thanks :)

sweet ronit: thanks for the tip - I'll hunt down a copy of that documentary.

tracey: thanks sweetie! and that's ok, no need to apologise at all, I've been falling behind on my blog reading and comments - to much to do and I've been sick :( xx