Thursday, 28 April 2011

me, when i was little

: : My brother and I, on my grandfather's Kibbutz with his dog, Kobi.

me, when i was little

: : Me, when I was very little. I always did like bikes (and check out that stylish ring).

my mother, when she was little

: : My beautiful mum, when she was very little.

my dad, in his early twenties

: : My dad, in his early twenties (or perhaps late teens). Doesn't he look a bit like Allen Ginsberg?

me, when i was little

: : Me, with my kindergarten teachers. My dad bought me that dress and those shoes in London, I loved them to bits.

me, when i was little

: : Me, 'graduating' from kindergarten in Israel. I was obviously destined to wear that hat again ...

my mother, when she was little

: : My mother, wearing her Purim costume.

me, when i was little

: : Me, when I was little, wearing one of my favourite outfits. My mum sure knew how to dress me.

my grandfather (first one at the front)

: : My grandfather, with his friends. I love his crazy tall hair (he's the one sitting right at the front, with arms wrapped around his legs).

me, when i was little

: : Me, at the beach in Israel.

The photograph of someone one loves, as a child: folded time. The present is given adorable density; in the face of the beloved rests an earlier face. A boy, leaning cheekily, wearing a beret. Lanky, unpredictable, verging into the tall man who will step forward to embrace you. A girl with freckles and uncontrollable hair. Standing in full sunlight on a white sandy beach, awaiting with eyes open an adult embrace.

-Gail Jones, Dreams of Speaking, London: Harvill Secker, 2006, p. 37.

I've been digging through old family albums and feeling all nostalgic. I had to share some of the photos here. I've shown you my childhood photos, perhaps you'd like to show me yours?

P.S. Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement regarding my previous post, I really appreciate it.


anabela / fieldguided said...

This was such a treat to see. Thank you for sharing.

The above fore-mentioned. said...

wow hila these are georgeous! I am trying to play catch up on the blog world after my uni related absence of the last two weeks and it was a lovely surprise to pop over here and see your beautiful photographs, the wonderful images of Dylan Thomas' hut and read about the direction of your own writing. you're always very inspirational. good luck with the writers competition!

Jess said...

Love those overalls!!! ahhhh to be young and carefree! :)

Rambling Tart said...

I absolutely love these photos, Hila. :-) I've been grinning my way through them - totally loving your cute little self and your grandfathers amazing hair!! :-)

jodeska said...

I love old photos! I went through a few before the move and they do tug at your heart. Love your overalls! x

Olga said...

I adore these photos. They make me smile. You, at the beach in Israel, look so happy, so cute.

SJ said...

thanks for sharing these, i love looking at other people's childhood photos.
i might have to trawl through mine and share a few soon as well!

amy said...

ahhh way to much cuteness!

amy said...


odessa said...

oh goodness, these pictures are so precious! i love the one of your grandpa and his friends, they made smile. and also the last one of you at the beach. very cute! :D

Tana said...

You were very stilish being a child ^^)(i love that outfit in fact ). I adore the old photos, the feelings you have travelling back from page to page again as if it is your silent movie but filled with precious things - emotions, unforgettable moments, family history.

etre-soi said...

thank you so much for sharing family memories, such precious moments right ? I'll do a post on this too soon, great idea !

sara said...

if i was at my home i grew up in i would certainly post old photos! sadly i have none here to scan :(
the picture with you in the pale pink skirt is adorable, you're like a little fashionista with the belt bow and nice white shirt - i'd probably wear something similar now haha!
thanks for sharing, old photos are the best!

nikaela marie said...

oh goodness, you were a doll. these were very fun to peak at. my favourite is the last one! xx

Ashley said...

Oh, this is such a beautiful post, both in the feel of it and the look.
Your mother looks very lovely in her purim costume, and yes, your dad totally looks like Allen Ginsberg!

Caitlin Rose said...

Thank you for sharing these, I particularly love the one of you graduating, oh and the one of your grandfather. I love looking through old albums. So beautiful.

Sarah Morgan said...

Hila, these are so wonderful! I always feel it's such a special moment to get to peek into someone's family history. Thank you for sharing!

Miss Moss said...

i love this SO MUCH! the pic of your dad (truly allen ginsberg-esque) is so cool.

lizzie said...

you are adorable.

naomemandeflores said...

What an adorable post! You look a lot like your mother when you were a kid. So sweet!

Camila F.

Rhônya Holman said...

I ADORE these photos Hila! I liked especially the photo of you at the beach in Israel, and your mother's purim costume. Thanks for showing such a lovely photos!

Sunshine & smiles to you always! =(^.^)=

Lady Jersey said...

I discover your blog and I find your photos so great !!


aldrin said...

i like your messy locks and your space shirt, ha ha

Tracey said...

Your photos are wonderful Hila ... your outfits are lovely, and just look at all your curls!! :)

You look so happy.

I love looking through old photos, they are like rediscovering almost forgotten moments, or stumbling upon moments you'd never previously known.

annelouiselikes said...

i can't believe how similar you and your mum looked as children..! i actually did a double take - or rather, i scrolled up again to check that i had read the captions correctly.

some great photos, especially as everyone just looks so happy :)

P R I M O E Z A said...

these are great hila. you obviously lived in israel for awhile? i went there a few years ago. i'd love to go back.

See Hear Say said...

so much loveeeee, thanks for sharing them with us! i'm going back to my home country mid year i am so going to dig in some old family photos!

tywo said...

These are so beautiful.


hila said...

Anabela: my pleasure, glad you liked it ;)

Fiona: thanks so much! I hope things have started to settle down for you, uni-wise.

Jess: yes, aren’t they cute? I wish I kept them :)

Rambling tart: aww, thanks :)

Jodeska: the overalls seem to be a hit :) I’d love to see your photos Jo.

Olga: I was pretty happy!

Sj: oh please do, I’d love to see them.

Amy: thanks amy, I bet you were super cute too!

Odessa: I love that photo of my grandfather too :)

Tana: my style was due 100% to my mother :)

Sofia: oh great! Can’t wait to see it Sofia.

Sara: I know, my mum would pick out the best clothes for me – I’d wear that outfit now too.

Nikaela marie: aww, thanks!

Ashley: I swear, his resemblance to a young Ginsberg is uncanny at times.

Caitlin rose: thanks :)

Sarah Morgan: my pleasure!

Diana: yep, he was one cool cat.

Lizzie: thanks!

Camila: yes, we did look alike as children, I think I look more like my dad now though.

Rhonya: thank so much!

Lady jersey: thanks

Aldrin: ha, I love the space t-shirt as well :)

Tracey: oh thanks! And yes, I love looking at old photos too.

Annelouiselikes: we were a happy bunch :) I always got told I looked like my mum when I was little.

Elizabeth: I didn’t know you visited Israel – how did you find it? I was born and grew up in Israel, so yes, I was there for a while :)

Laura: oh, I can’t wait to see your photos, I bet you were cute :)

Tywo: thanks!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Your photographs are fabulous and I really like the quote you used. Have you read Dreams of Speaking?

hila said...

denise: hi! yes, I have read dreams of speaking, it's one of my favourite novels.

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Okay, onto my list it goes.

. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Hila, this has inspired me.

hila said...

denise: great, I'm sure you'll love it.

andrew: thanks! I'm glad it has :)

Mariella said...

Ohhhh,these are sweet.. old of my favorite things in the world...