Wentworth

Monday, 14 February 2011

sea view

I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in

F. W.

-Jane Austen, Persuasion (Captain Frederick Wentworth's Letter to Anne Elliot).

This is my little Valentines gift to you, if you happen to stumble upon it. I admit, I would find it hard to turn down Wentworth's letter. I always picture Anne reading the letter by the sea, even though this does not actually occur. Maybe the letter just deserves a sea view and a beautiful expanse to reflect the beautifully expressive words. Happy Valentine's Day!

Image by Rebecca.

21 comments:

Silvia said...

Happy valentines day to you too! This was an awesome read, even though I am a fan, I have never read a Jane Austen book. It's one of those things I keep putting off along with a tremendous amount of other stuff. It's such a shame it would take longer than my life time to read every book ever.

When I read "Wentworth" I immediately pictured prof. Farnsworth's arch-enemy "wernsworth". :)

SJ said...

:)

and happy valentine's day to you.

Katyha said...

oh my! this is my favourite part of the movie (1995 version) I love it!! hope you have a gorgeous valentine's day :D

Emily Vanessa said...

Happy Valentine's Day Hila. An extract from one of my very favourite books and I remember repinning this photo of yours on Pininterest. Something about it makes me dream. I love the sea but get to be beside it so rarely.

Mariella said...

Thanks Hila, what a lovely Valentine's present...I read persuasion many years ago...forgot all about this letter, so thank you again!

skeletaldreams said...

beautiful! x

Siubhan said...

So perfectly pitched for a day that is often overpowering and awful - I love this. I really must re-read Persuasion, and search out some sea view somewhere.

Tana said...

Very beautiful! Happy St. Valetine`s day!thank you so much for this present!

Deleilan said...

Ah, "the letter"! This is exactly why Persuasion is my favourite Austen novel. Some find it unexciting and unromantic, but the depth of the feelings it contains, the maturity of the love that is expressed within, make its hold far stronger on my heart...

lizzie said...

BEAUTIFUL. I'd never read it...and I'm glad you shared. Jeeez, she had a way with words, no?

Sarah Morgan said...

Lovely! Jane Austen is my favorite author; she wrote so beautifully.

This picture is perfect, too.

Happy Valentine's Day!

anabela / fieldguided said...

Oh I haven't read this one! I think I must. Beautiful post, Hila. Love the image. It makes my heart ache for the sea.

CloudyKim said...

Happy Valentine's Day! I love this letter! Northanger Abbey (and the amazing Mr.Tilney) may be my favorite Austen book, but Persuasion is totally second.

Yes, I too see her reading it someplace quiet and picturesque. The beautiful, urgent tone to it makes you want to find balance in the world outside the letter.

sew nancy said...

Beautiful post and image. I can't believe I have not read this yet.

Nicola said...

No I dont think I could turn it down either,
Intriguing men and their persuasive words!!!!!

If Jane said...

i have never read jane austen...i think i need too. happy late st-valentine's!

hila said...

Sylvia: ha, that’s funny :) and yes, read Austen!

Sj: thanks :)

Katyha: a lot of people didn’t like the 1995 version, but I did.

Emily Vanessa: I really should go to the sea more often as it’s so close to my house.

Mariella: my pleasure!

Skeletaldreams: agreed!

Siubhan: oh yes, totally agree about Valentine’s day usually being overpowering and awful. I didn’t grow up with it, so I really don’t “get” it.

Tana: glad you like it :)

Deleilan: I feel the same: it has a depth and maturity to it that I find more involving than her other novels.

Lizzie: yes, clever Jane.

Sarah Morgan: thanks!

Anabela: me too, this picture always gets me.

Cloudykim: I love Northanger Abbey too.

Sew nancy: I hope you get to read it!

Nicola: I definitely couldn’t turn down persuasive words.

If jane: I think a lot of people are turned off by the “older” language of her books, but they’re really quite accessible.

odessa said...

belated happy v-day, hila! Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel. i absolutely love their love. and your photo is perfection!

Tracey said...

Oh yes, this is one of my favourite collections of words too ... I know I wouldn't be able to resist such a letter.

Maggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hila said...

odessa: I wish it was my photo! and thanks :)

tracey: if only someone would send us such a letter ...