Weekend

Friday, 25 February 2011

shelby tanner

I'm so ready for the weekend. I'm planning on going to the beach to soak in the sea and painting in my mum's studio. We're making a gift for this lovely lady as, guess what? Amy and I have just about finished our book and we'll be showing it to you all very soon. I'm so excited, and I really can't express what a beautiful job Amy has done in designing and illustrating it. I really do hope my words live up to her images.

I have a few other lovely things to leave you with before the weekend ...

Have a look at The Australian Ballet's cool revamped blog, and do you spot someone familiar on this page? I'm very humbled and excited that my words will also appear on The Australian Ballet's program for Elegy.

Yen Magazine has included one of my photos as their photo of the day!

And last but not least, a few people have asked me for a Hummus recipe, so I thought I'd share it here. I highly recommend hummus with scrambled eggs and Turkish bread for breakfast on a Sunday morning.

This recipe is a traditional one where you 'cook' the raw chickpeas rather than using ones already made from a can. It's not that hard, just a little more time-consuming, and buying raw chickpeas is easy from local markets or supermarkets. In my opinion, this is worth it as the taste is much better. Still, if you don't want to go to this much trouble, you can use canned chickpeas and basically skip steps 1. and 2. of the recipe, moving straight to step 3. Just be sure to drain the chickpeas from the canned liquid as it's definitely not good for you.

Ingredients (serves 8-10)
1/2 kg (1 lb 2 oz) small dry chickpeas
1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup raw top quality Tahini
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt (as little or as much as you like)

1. Soak the chickpeas overnight in a large bowl of cold water with one tablespoon of baking soda.

2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and put them in a large pan. Add water until it reaches 2-3 cm (1 inch) above the chickpeas. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and bring to boil. Cook covered over low heat for 2-3 hours, until the chickpeas are very soft. Cool slightly, drain and save some of the cooking liquid.

3. Put the chickpeas in a food processor, add 2/3 cup of Tahini and process until almost smooth. If the paste is too thick, add a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Season with lemon, garlic and salt; taste and adjust the seasoning. For a creamier version, add the remaining Tahini and process until the hummus is completely smooth.

4. This last step is optional. In my family, we place the Hummus in a large plate and season it with finely chopped parsley, drizzled olive oil, paprika and cumin. It tastes divine.

Enjoy!

Image by Shelby Tanner, who has a fabulous flickr account and tumblr blog.

27 comments:

The above fore-mentioned. said...

Wow you sound busy! Can't wait to see the book - how exciting. Sounds like you have a great weekend planned, that photograph above is just beautiful.

Galit said...

This photo on top is gorgeously beautiful!! Can't stop looking at it!!
Congrats on featuring your photo! It is indeed deserve to be the photo of the day.

We usually eat hummus on Saturday's lunch after my man is back from his bike ride. I don't use baking soda (is it to soften the chick peas?) and we eat it with sliced boiled egg and the same seasoning you use. So simple and great!

Mariella said...

I can't tell you how much I love hummus, I also make it by myself following basically the same recipe you show here, somehow though there is always something missing, maybe because the hummus I tasted in some places in Israel is really too good to reproduce??Mine is a road of trials and errors...but I am hopeful

p.s. good luck for your book!!

hila said...

my grandmother uses baking soda in a lot of her recipes, I asked her why once and she said it just gives things a better taste. I'll bow to her wisdom as she's the best cook I know. I would think though that here, it does help soften the chickpeas, although I'm purely guessing. and you're right - it's so simple and great, I can't live without hummus :)

Sundari said...

What a very busy person you are! I am very excited to see the book. Congratulations. And well done with the photo of the day, it's a beautiful photo. I'm so jealous, I wish I could visit England soon. That hummus recipe looks very authentic. I will give it a go. I was lazy last time and used chickpeas from a can, and my neighbour said that when she tried the 'cheats' way it tasted better than when she tried the 'proper' way. Hmmm, guess I'll have to try out both. I love that last step though.

etre-soi said...

uhhmm sounds delicious, love love hummus :) Oh! How I wish I could go with you to the beach, but instead I have to go to work, but the good news is that monday I'm on holidays, yeahhhh !!!
Have great fun
xoxo
sofia

Miss Moss said...

love that wuthering heights / photo of the day pic. aaaaah. speaking of period dramas! have you seen the trailer for jane eyre? i am sure you have. and have you watch the new upstairs, downstairs? or south riding?

here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x2yj7

+

here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00y5gm3

that's my plan for the weekend. have a good one!

Megan Champion said...

I always get my laptop wallpaper from your photos. This is my new one, just so lovely.

Where do you find them?

Thanks for the Hummus recipe, I actually bought a bag of chickpeas last night to make hummus with, I’m going to try yours.

I hope you enjoy the beach this weekend Hila, its still too cold here for that.

Finally, I cant wait to see the book. Im sure its grand.
xo

Olga said...

Congratulations on the new book. I'm trying the hummus recipe for sure. I'm surprised about the soda, though. Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such an interesting comment. Now I wonder what is the name of your cat :) Have a good weekend!

Molly said...

Congratulations on your recent accomplishments! What an exciting way to start the weekend! :) And I'm going to have to try that hummus recipe soon… yummmm. Thanks for sharing!

Marinka said...

thanks for the recipe.
I like the photograph too, this is how I wish I could spend my holidays, just painting by the sea

Deleilan said...

Thanks so much for the hummus recipe, Hila! Interesting that it doesn't include olive oil, but I guess part of the tahini takes its place.

Congratulations on all these good things coming your way - they're well deserved!

Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend...

Sarahbeth said...

Oh congrats on all of your success! This thrills me for you! I absolutely love the picture at the top - there's something so Anne of Green Gables about it to me.

If Jane said...

oh beach + painting...great plan!!!
oh congrats re: the book..cannot wait to see it!

and miam! i love hummus...and have never made it...maybe i should now...;))

Tana said...

What a beautiful picture you picked out for that post!!!
and congratulations on all good things coming your way :)

StarletStarlet said...

Wow - congrats, congrats, congrats!

The picture above is my dream weekend - here's to a great relaxing - creative outleting weekend!

Oh, and I've never made hummus before - the recipe sounds really good. I'm filing it!

gracia said...

How wonderful your plans for the weekend, and big congratulations to you and Amy... All a-quiver to see your book in greater detail.

Emily Vanessa said...

Nice to find a delicious recipe here for something I absolutely love. Perhaps you could start giving up cooking tips too? Sounds like a great weekend and most of all, congratulations on the book. I just know it'll be amazing!

Christine said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. So happy to hear about your book! Can't wait for more details!

hila said...

thanks for the sweet words everyone, you're all awesome!

mariella: I still can't make mine as good as the hummus I ate in Jerusalem once, although I suspect most people can't either!

sundari: hmm, odd, but I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. Let me know how it turns out.

diana: thank you lady! I'll check all those out.

megan champion: I just procrastinate on the internet too much, and in the process, find pretty things.

olga: my kitty's name is Kobi, after my grandfather's dog who died. I loved that dog.

deleilan: we put the olive oil as dressing in the end - tastes so good.

emily vanessa: hmm, I'm not sure I'm actually a good enough cook o give cooking tips, but I think my grandmother's recipes should be shared, so yeah, maybe I'll include them more in the future on this blog.

Tracey said...

I'm so excited about your book!! :D
There's so many lovely things happening in your world at the moment (all are so well deserved).

Thanks for that recipe ... sounds delicious! :)

skeletaldreams said...

Congratulations lovely! It sounds like you're super busy, I hope you had a nice, relaxing weekend!
x

hila said...

thanks tracey and skeletaldreams!

Des said...

hummus with scrambled eggs and Turkish bread. That sounds like a great breakfast. Actually it sounds like the kind of heavy breakfast you eat, and then crawl back into bed and sleep another four hours. a perfect sunday meal.

hila said...

yes, eating breakfast and crawling right back into bed is pretty much perfect.

clovis simard said...

Bonjour,

Vous êtes cordialement invité à visiter mon blog.

Description : Mon Blog(fermaton.over-blog.com), présente le développement mathématique de la conscience humaine.

La Page No-4: HATMAN !

THÉORÈME D'HATMAN , PHYSIQUE QUANTIQUE !
RELATIVITÉ
VITESSE LUMIÈRE
APOCALYPSE


Cordialement

Clovis Simard

vegetablej said...

Sounds great, hila. The un-canned chickpeas make all the difference. Almost the same as the recipe I found but I like the idea of serving it with parsley and cumin and I'll try it next time. Thanks!

:)