Xavier Veilhan at Versailles

Saturday, 22 January 2011

Xavier Veilhan

Xavier Veilhan

Xavier Veilhan

Xavier Veilhan

Xavier Veilhan

Xavier Veilhan

Xavier Veilhan

Xavier Veilhan

My project for Versailles mainly involves the use of open-air spaces, following the estate's east/west axis, from the Place d’Armes to Le Nôtre’s formal gardens. I will be presenting several works or groups of works created especially for this exhibition, which establishes a continuity between the site’s history and its contemporary protraction. This is a dynamic, classical, open and universal project, aiming to establish a new connection between visitors and the spaces they travel through.

-Xavier Veilhan.

When I saw these photos on The Selby, I jumped straight over to Xavier Veilhan's website to read about this project. I think the appropriate adjective for this is, "wow". There's something both incongruous and yet beautiful about the artwork Veilhan created for his show at Versailles. This got me thinking about how much of what we consider to be aesthetically pleasing or beautiful is actually more about contrast than harmony. The sharp, geometric and modern lines of his sculptures seem to enhance the classical purity of Versailles' architecture and interiors. Maybe I'm just projecting my own fondness for things that don't fit together onto his art, but his idea of exploring the continuity between past and present seems to be evoked through symbolic contrast. I also love the geometric royal purple set in large scale within a royal building. I wish I could have seen this in person.

To see more of his art, click here.


The above fore-mentioned. said...

Wow indeed! The photos are such a great tease too, just little snatches as you scroll down, until you see the "bigger picture". Amazing, these would have been great to walk around, what a fantastic use of space.

lizzie said...

I can't even believe how stark and stunning the contrast in this project is...absolutely beautiful.

P R I M O E Z A said...


CloudyKim said...

Wow, so impressive! I like the parallel you drew with how the modern art mixes with the classical beauty to create an interesting contrast. But I like what Veilhan said about being aware of spaces as well. I actually find myself being drawn to look at dips and unfinished brick walls and other abandoned oddities found along the side of the road. That's space awareness, at it's smallest, I guess. Thanks for sharing!

Tana said...

I like the forms he uses, the colours, the lines which give so impressive result

Lilla Kullan ♥ Hemma på Landet said...

It's very different, but very nice.:-) Hug Stina

Vanessa said...

These photos are totally mindblowing, especially the first one for some reason. I love the movement of the horses' coats as if they're galloping and the way they fit the grand scale of their surroundings. I agree that it would have been amazing to see them in person.

Felix Curds said...

"what we consider to be aesthetically pleasing or beautiful is actually more about contrast than harmony." after seeing danica's post on eric hurtgen and then these stunning things, i couldn't agree with that statement more!

p.s. why are you so cool?!

Alyssa Rose. said...

Stunning - something about the purple is divine in Versailles. Such a lovely pop of color! & Adorable blog :)

Anna said...

wow he is amazing!! and so are these photographs. I wish I could go see it in person.

mandyface said...

wow is right. these are surreal and fantastic!

skeletaldreams said...

absolutely stunning. there's something so breathtaking seeing art works so large


gracia said...

Yep, wow is the word. How incredible to be able to create work at such a scale in such a place. What a thrilling and terrifying project to begin work on, and what results! Thanks for sharing.

SJ said...

i think wow is the only way to describe it!

i just love artworks that challenge scale, these are just fantastic.

hila said...

The above fore-mentioned: I know what you mean, those little glimpses of the pieces really want to make you see more.

Lizzie: yep, wow is a useful term, huh? ;)

Primoeza: that’s a pretty good adjective too!

Cloudykim: I like the way you described that.

Tana: yes, it is pretty impressive.

Stina: different, but nice :)

Vanessa: the first one is my favourite too – I think because it feels like the balls are about to drop on you.

Felix curds: ha, I’m not cool, it may please you to know I’ve always been a nerd ;)

Alyssa rose: thank you!

Anna: me too, it must have been amazing.

Mandyface: yes, ‘surreal’ is a good way to describe it.

Skeletaldreams: I agree, it’s sort of hard to wrap your brain around large art.

Gracia: I know, how daunting would it be to create art for Versailles! I’d have a minor heart attack.

Sj: So true!

Tracey said...

Wow - just incredible!! :)
The colour is amazing, and that's an interesting point about the eye appreciating beauty in the contrast rather than the harmony.

I often think it's the 'points of difference' that may any one person or thing beautiful, and I think that's a philosophy written along similar lines.

hila said...

yep, many people have written about it. Perfection seems so boring to me, I don't know why people seek it so much.

Ella said...

i really love his installations! i have not yet seen these particular ones, so i am delighted that you posted this!

hila said...

glad you like it ella!