Winterson + Essentials

Friday, 28 January 2011

baron wells

The very lovely Elizabeth from Primoeza tagged me to post my five daily essentials. I would love to play by the rules and show you a snapshot of these essentials, but alas, my camera is not in my possession, and my phone is not swanky enough to take photos. So I'm going to use some creative license with this tag and name these essentials partly through Jeanette Winterson's magic words. Just because.

As the world shrinks, imaginative space becomes more important.

-Jeanette Winterson, Home.

I need some imaginative space on a daily basis. This usually occurs while staring out of the window.

baron wells

Am I suspicious of people who have few books? Well, yes, I am, not because I wonder if they are shallow and stupid, but because with such people I don’t know how to read between the lines.

-Jeanette Winterson, The Books We Choose to Keep.

Books are a daily essential for me, whether blank books to jot down ideas in (Moleskine is my favourite), or books to read.

baron wells

I go to poetry the way some people grab an espresso; for an energy shot, a hit of warmth, and to clear my head.

-Jeanette Winterson, Poetry.

I can't live a day without coffee, whatever the kind, although I'm particularly fond of espresso at the moment. To me, coffee is like poetry and poetry is like coffee.

I also definitely need my glasses and lip balm on a daily basis. I tag Sundari, Sofia and Tracey.

To read more of Winterson's words, click here.

Image credits: all images are by Eric Degenhardt, from the Baron Wells website for their Giulia Avec Paris campaign.


mckenzie. said...

stunning photos, and i agree. life without books is pointless!

P R I M O E Z A said...

hila - you're one stylish woman.

Hemma på Landet said...

I like the photos.:-) Hug Stina

etre-soi said...

Oh how I understand you so well ! Loved Winterson's quote about poetry, so so true :) and loved to read all of her text, thanks for introducing me to Winterson's work. Thank you for the tag I'll be doing it soon :)

Mariella said...

Thanks for stopping by Hila, it was a lovely surprise to see your comment. I don't know about other people but I could not live without books. For the first time in my life, last year I experienced a sort of "reading books rut" that seriously worried me (did I become one of those people that can manage without books?)but I am coming out of it which is why reading your blog is so delighting for me. I guess I found you at the perfect time for me.:-)

Tana said...

that`s a very nice post. your essentials are great, poetic with perfect images!

Deleilan said...

Such true words about imaginative space (I love the image this conjures up) and books...

Sarah Morgan said...

Beautiful post. Those pictures are gorgeous! I also can't get through the day without books & caffeine. (Written as I am drinking an inordinately large cup of coffee)

Thanks for sharing!

TC said...

that picture of the art book store breaks my heart... i wanna step inside!
and these are beautiful quotes ... thanks.

Aldrin said...

i love your love for coffee.

lizzie said...

love how creative your essentials are...

skeletaldreams said...

lovely! the photos are beautiful and the words amazing as usual


Vanessa said...

You always manage to find the most perfect marriage of words and images that make me dream all day. I especially love the first shot of the bookshop (for obvious reasons). I need books too, whether blank or by someone else, lip balm is a must but tea more than coffee is a daily essential. I'm picky about the quality of coffee so prefer to go to a café for a latte which means I don't always get it every day. Beautiful post!

Emily said...

I just found this blog, and I am completely smitten. Not just with the beautiful images and lovely quotes and endless nods to poets and movies and books and art that I immediately fall in love with... But also with the way your personality and soul come through in every post.

It's refreshing to find a woman in the blogosphere who so gracefully balances intelligence and ambition with simple aesthetic joy and love of beauty.

Thank you!

CloudyKim said...

Nice! I love everything you named (and the quotes that went with it), but the staring out the window part reminded me how important it is to let yourself to that. Whether it's a metaphorical window or a real one :)

Jen said...

enjoying jeanette's suspicion of people with few books, and your love of coffee... and equally blown away by the images from the 'giulia avec paris' collection. I must bookmark these as visual pleasures from other people's imaginations are surely in my bag of daily essentials.

Tracey said...

As ever, your post is a delight to read and reflect upon. The images and those wonderful words from Jeanette Winterson are the perfect way to introduce your daily essentials.

I know what you mean about people who have few books ... how is one supposed to know more about that person without a healthy book collection to peruse?

Coffee is also an essential part of my day, and will likely get a mention in my own response (thanks for the tag Hila).


miau said...

wonderful photos ! :-)

MANDY said...

I love all your choices, love the quote about people and books (I have lots, so I'm alright !!!}

Christine said...

A great selection of words and images!

anabela / fieldguided said...

This is so beautiful. I loved your take on essentials -- there is no way your essentials will be mistaken for product placement or a "what's in your bag" post (sigh). xo

hila said...

Thanks for being so kind to my creative license everyone :)

Mckenzie: pointless and scary!

Primoeza: right back at you lady :)

Stina: they are pretty special, aren’t they?

Sofia: I thought you would understand :) and Winterson is wonderful, she is so good with words.

Mariella: it was my pleasure. And yes, I can’t imagine a life without books.

Tana: thanks!

Deleilan: and a day without daydreaming is a day wasted.

Sarah Morgan: snap! I’m drinking a ridiculously large cup of coffee as I type.

Tc: I know, I want to step inside too.

Aldrin: I love that you love my love for coffee :)

Lizzie and skeletaldreams: thanks!

Vanessa: we’ve recently acquired a coffee machine, so I’m getting quality coffee these days.

Emily: thank you, this is incredibly kind, I don’t know what to say. I hope I can live up to such a compliment!

Cloudykim: it’s one of my favourite pastimes.

Jen: yes, totally agree, I fell in love with these images when I first saw them.

Tracey: my pleasure, hope you have fun doing it. And I have to admit, the first thing I do when I go into someone’s house is check out their bookshelves. If they don’t have any, I start to get worried.

Miau and Mandy: yes, I agree!

Christine: thanks!

Anabela: Thanks! I sort of feel I should have done a “what’s in your bag” post, but a lack of camera does make that hard :(

natalie said...

those photos are to die for! so parisian! and you look like you are at peace there, like it is home for you. I must admit that is how i feel when i am in paris and london.

i have to agree with you about books. i think that is what i spend the better half of my income on. haha...that's what i get for being an english major.

i have been reading through your blog the past couple of days and just can't help but fall for your writing style (like everyone else it seems). truly inspirational and motivational for me to become a better writer. :)

hila said...

oh that's not me, I don't live in paris - I wish!

most of my income goes on books too, there are vast collections all over my house :)

Thank you so much for the compliment!