The Fox & the Child

Sunday, 12 December 2010

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

the fox & the child

Seeing is believing, but touching is the truth.

This will be my last post of 2010, how strange that the year is nearly over. I've got a big deadline right before Christmas, and I'm also planning a small "holiday", so I won't be posting for two or three weeks after this post. I feel the need for a small break.

I can't think of a better last post for the year than this one. I've been watching Luc Jacquet's incredible film, The Fox & the Child. It feels like a gift of a film. It's one of those films that makes all your senses alert. The magic of The Fox & the Child doesn't lie in the narrative, as it's essentially plot-less. As we follow the friendship that develops between a young girl and a fox, we're reminded of the value of quiet contemplation. The seasons change before our eyes, the landscape breathes new colour, the air condenses and expands.

This is a film that you appreciate through sensory envy: when the young girl dipped her fingers into soft fur, my fingers tingled; when the wind snapped against her red cheek, I could almost feel the elastic severity of the cold; when snow meticulously melted into spring on fragile flowers, I imagined the smell of dissolving dampness, like after it rains. I was also repeatedly reminded of Gail Jones's apt description of Jane Campion's The Piano: "only gradually do we learn that this film is indeed about touch, about what fingers can do" (Gail Jones, The Piano, Currency Press, 2007, p. 14). The Fox & the Child is a film of details and little moments, rather than action. It is about what fingers can do and touch, what eyes can uncover, what time feels like on the flesh, and the texture of a friendship that is unspoken, beyond language. And I suppose that's why I love it, as it suggests something I've been contemplating lately: the idea of a cinema of the senses.

This is what this time of year should be all about: appreciating things through the senses. I think this is a lovely note on which to end and wish you all happy holidays. If you celebrate Hanukkah, I hope it was as delicious and fun as mine. If you celebrate Christmas, have a fantastic one. And to everyone: happy new year celebrations! Keep safe and happy. Thanks to everyone who has read my blog and left comments in the past year, I'm always amazed that anyone actually reads this blog. I'll see you all in the first week of January, 2011!

49 comments:

gracia said...

Enjoy your break from blogging, Hila... and good luck with that Christmas deadline. December is the busiest work related month for me and I spend it in constant spin.

I look forward to your posts in the New Year and will be adding this film to my dvd list that grows longer by day and by night. What a magical childhood!

Here's to a wonderful 2011... oh, and thanks for allowing me chance to play along. It was fun... http://gracialouise.typepad.com/high_up_in_the_trees/2010/12/in-answer-to-your-question.html

be well, g xo

Enia Is (Almost) Here said...

beautiful write-up that makes me want to go see it immediately.

have a good few offline weeks and see you in the next one :)

Rui said...

looks lovely, will see it once i'm on break! good luck on your project. happy holidays to you and your family :)

Eliza said...

This post was beautiful. You made me feel so aware, again, of certain things I forget. I shall watch this as soon as I can find it. I wish you wonderful holidays, my dear. ♥

Tracey said...

This looks like a wonderful film ... and something very much attuned to my tastes (you find the most loveliest and inspirational of things).

Enjoy your break and see you in the new year! :)

Sundari said...

Hila, wonderful review as always. I think you write so beautifully about films, talking about the senses and getting down to the bare bones of a piece of cinema is really nice to read. When you mentioned The Piano being about touching, many moments of the film came back to me. Like the scene where she goes back to the beach for the first time and her fingers touch the ivory keys of her beloved piano, I could almost feel what she felt and it was a 'feeling' that words can't quite describe (though I'm sure you could find them) Enjoy your break. Looking forward to seeing you again on this spot next year.

Tana said...

This post with review is wonderful!
Wish you good luck and nice holidays!

Vanessa said...

Happy holidays Hila! You shouldn't be surprised that we read your blog - it's simply wonderful and I'm so happy to have found it. Good luck with the deadline and enjoy the well earned break. I've wanted to see this film for so long and spotted it the other day in the store so I really must see it soon. Your beautiful review and pictures are so inspiring - the one with the fox's face and the hedgehog are especially lovely.

that kate said...

I have added this to my film list. It looks absolutely wonderful. Have a great break!

See Hear Say said...

all the stills look absolutely stunning!! i have to watch this movie! merry christmas and have a nice holiday!

mir said...

I love this film !!! Thanks for this post :-)

Megan Champion said...

I love your film reviews hila, they always inspire me to go find and watch them too.

julie said...

such beautiful images already teasing the sense of sight.
i look forward to follow more in this space in 2011.
have a great break!

Felix Curds said...

these screen caps are so lovely as is your writing- i think i am obligated to see this film now. i hope you have a lovely holiday and i suppose i see you in 2011:)

louise said...

I am yet to see this film, but you have reminded me how much I want to see it.

I hope you have a wonderful festive break after your December deadlines pass.

Thank-you again for my recent prize. I have played along too...

http://gracialouise.typepad.com/elsewhere/2010/12/answers-to-a-lovely-prize-and-a-buffy-fish-owl.html

xolj

b. said...

What a beautiful post..! This film seems to be so magical. Thank you for sharing :)

Victoria said...

Beautiful! I hope you enjoy your holiday and take it in with all these fabulous senses.

Rina said...

Hila, I hope you have a great christmas and happy new year with your family and friends. Thanks for this gift! the images are amazing and so beautiful...
Take care!
xoxo

tywo said...

This is beautiful.
I hope you enjoy your time away. I also hope you get everything done. Have a good holiday.



LOVE!

P R I M O E Z A said...

this film looks absolutely enchanting. i haven't heard of it but i'll be looking out for it for sure now. happy holiday!

The Wanderers' Daughter said...

What wonderful images! I love foxes and so many of my illustrated children have them for companions.

Galit said...

These stills looks incredible. I have to admit that I've never heard before about this film, but I will cover this gap shortly...
Have a great vacation and happy and relaxed holidays!

Megan Champion said...

Hila – I just noticed that you have my blog listed. Just wanted to say thank you :-) Enjoy your holiday!

Anonymous said...

happy hollidays hila!!
i send u love from mexico :)

abraham palafox.

MANDY said...

Happy Holidays to you too XXX

joanne said...

this really is the perfect note on which to end the year... wow! thanks for dropping by my blog, hila. i'll definitely be coming back for more - enjoy your holidays and all the best for 2011 :)

Lotte said...

this so so lovely, thanks for sharing.
Wish you a warm christmas and a happy new wear

Indie.Tea said...

It looks breathtaking and sound enchanting.
And I hope you enjoy your little break :)

Jazzy E (hivennn) said...

so beautiful. x hivennn.

Ella said...

i love how relevant this film is to the season! it looks promising :) i hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

If Jane said...

oh i would love to see it!!!
meet yoru deadline!
and happy new year!!

Christine said...

I must see this film now. Enjoy your break. And I wish you a very happy new year! See you in 2011.

mckenzie. said...

utter perfection. you are a very clever girl, aren't you? (: xx

Lo said...

oh, man! so pretty!

CloudyKim said...

Wow, this looks like a great movie. I'll have to go searching for it :D

Have a Merry Christmas!

skeletaldreams said...

your blog is so lovely ♥
have a wonderful christmas and break

skeletal-dreams.blogspot.com/

Susanna-Cole King said...

Oh, the sampling of screencaptures are so lovely, I'll have to see this!

Warm wishes for a wonderful new year!

xoxo,
S-C

Yoli said...

So glad to come across this blog. Beautiful.

Thekla said...

its a beautiful post<3


http://inablondeworld.blogspot.com check out my blog if you have time love to hear from you:)xx

hila said...

thank you all from the bottom of my heart, I read each and every one of your comments and loved them :)

I hope everyone had a great holiday season! xo

Hermine said...

Oh, wauw, what a beautiful movie. I have to see it, because I love foxes. I hope you started the new year on a beautiful way.

hila said...

you'll love it then :)
happy new year!

Katyha said...

my daughter and I watched this Wednesday night and we loved the cute fox and the music was so magical. She thought it sad though :(

hila said...

yes, the ending was so sad, i cried.

Shelia Day said...

I just found your blog and this film is on my Netflix! I can't wait to see it, because it looks so inspiring since my blog/shop are named after a fox.

katrin said...

dear hila

what a wonderful reminder! i watched this film a little over two years ago on a wet morning in edinburgh, alone, damp and ready to return home to south africa (after a year of trying to live far away). it is as you say - this film revels in tiny sensory moments and affirms their universal value. i found the 'plotlessness' particularly appealing, it allowed for so much focus on details i'd lose myself in at the time - things i assumed most people missed. can't believe i forgot about the fox & the child! thank you ever so much for sharing this, so nice to have found your blog today. best wishes for 2011 x

hila said...

thanks Katrin! I love reading comments like these :)

Shelia day: oh how sweet!

R.P. said...

you made me put this movie on my netflix and I got it in the mail today. My wife and I are going to watch it this weekend. I'll be back to read your comments on it! Great blog by the way

hila said...

thank you! I hope you like the film.