Thank You

Friday, 12 November 2010

missy prince

Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.

-Ira Glass.

I’ve received so many sweet emails over the past few weeks from people who have stumbled upon my blog. This is my small thank you to you all. I hope you find these words as encouraging and reassuring as I do. You can also read a few more words I've written here. Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Image credit: the beautiful photograph above is by the talented Missy Prince. It has a calming tone to it, possibly because it’s such a gentle image.

22 comments:

Miss amanda said...

I think i really needed to read this today. Thank you.

Megan Champion said...

Hila, thank you for posting this, I just love it to bits. Everything about it is so true. And so timely, I just recently became a full time writer after striving and working on pieces of ‘crap’ since I was a child. Only now do I feel my work can hold any kind of light, after all that time. It’s something I think about often, because I like to remind myself that it only gets better from here.

pRiyA said...

How well that quotation describes the struggle. Thank you for posting this.

Design Elements said...

thank you for posting this

Tracey said...

A wonderful thing to read today, at a time when I'm feeling the 'struggle' of writing more than ever.

Thanks so much.
xx

Felix Curds said...

woah...suddenly it makes a lot of sense...

thankyou so much for sharing this:)

Greer said...

what a truly beautiful post.
xxxx

Vanessa said...

I often long to write something but know this feeling all too well. Thanks for comforting me with this words. I feel encouraged to continue. It's a joy reading this blog and the wonderful article about ballet.

Erica said...

This is a truly amazing quote! thank you so much for sharing. :)

tywo said...

So inspirational.
Thank you.



LOVE!

Indie.Tea said...

How well that quote describes how I feel, frustrated with the seemingly simple process of school applications. And feeling very confidence-less.
The photograph is beautiful.
And re: your comment...I've heard of potato kugel but I've never tried it. Would you recommend it...is it worth the effort?

gracia said...

"It’s normal to take awhile." is something good and comforting to read. g xo

etre-soi said...

thank you, this is something I needed to read this past weeks. It is also normal to make a pause and think about what really is working for me, what do I really want and where I'm heading with my work, it's hard but so needed.

hila said...

I'm so, so glad that you guys like this quote, I was hoping that it would reassure some people :)

hila said...

oh and indie.tea: yes, it's totally worth the effort. It's really not that hard. Just google the terms "potato kugel" and you'll find a heap of good recipes to follow. My favourite is the one by the New York times. It sort of tastes like potato tarts, only baked, not fried. It's one of my favourite comfort foods.

Luci said...

Hello. You have a beautiful blog!

P R I M O E Z A said...

your blog looks beautiful and your content is really interesting - adding it to my blog list :)

hila said...

thanks you luci and primoeza!

julie said...

a lovely blog and these words are good to hear.. i have been struggling for so long.
will be back for more :)

Sarahbeth said...

I just found you. One of those,clicking there -then here -then you, and I have to say I appreciate so very much your thoughts and your sharing. It's such a struggle to define and relax into the swing of things. Into the stride of the artist's journey. So thank you.

hila said...

thank you both, that means a lot to me.

Mariella said...

I normally don't leave three comments in a row on the same blog on the SAME day, but, seriously, thank you so much for sharing these words here, they are reassuring and they are just what I needed in this moment.