New Things

Saturday, 27 November 2010

bits of my weekend

bits of my weekend

bits of my weekend

bits of my weekend

bits of my weekend

bits of my weekend

bits of my weekend

You'll have to excuse these crappy photos taken by me. My camera is not the best and the sun is so strong that everything is in a haze (although I do like the rainbow light reflections created in the first picture). I've been pottering around in my mum's studio all morning, trying to avoid the mountain of writing I have to finish this weekend. This is probably not the wisest thing to do, but I do like the result of my procrastination.

I pulled out a bunch of beads from my mum's vast collection, sat in the sun with my kitty and made some necklaces. What do you think of them? I made these in an effort to embrace summer this year. Every year I grumble about summer. You'll have to forgive me for this because you see, summer in Australia is often a brutally hot, rather than a pleasantly warm, experience. But I feel these necklaces are perfect for summer as they remind me of popsicles.

I didn't make the rings of course, they are handmade by elephantine and accessoreese. Aren't they the prettiest, most delicate rings you've ever seen? I hope this post serves as a good thank you to the two lovely ladies who made these rings.

21 comments:

etre-soi said...

these are so cute, like the way you mixed the colors (I favorite is the last one on the right).

The above fore-mentioned. said...

I actually really loved the narrative of the photographs and the rainbow effect in the first one.

Thanks for your comment today, still getting my head around things, but I spent the day with my sister and that helped.

Lotte said...

i think the necklaces look very pretty

Niki said...

Really cute necklaces!

P R I M O E Z A said...

making necklaces while procrastinating about other works sounds very familiar :) i like them.

Ella said...

not crappy pictures at all! :) they capture the elegant essence of all these pieces excellently :)

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Pretty pictures and pretty necklaces. I love the board you have them hung on!

bronwyn said...

I love delicate rings like that. They would actually make a lovely wedding set. The rainbow light streaks in the first photo are gorgeous. Summer is my least favorite season and it doesn't even get very hot here. :)

Marinka said...

I find the first picture really nice..those necklaces are so cute and so is the ring.I totally understand what you mean by extremely hot summers, it's the same in Tunisia, someday its even degree 50C

mckenzie. said...

those photos are not crappy at all, dear. :) I think the necklace is lovely.

your blog is wondrous too, i just found you. i am a new follower. xx

Kate said...

The sheet music behind the necklaces looks great!
xx

Christine said...

What a great way to procrastinate. I'm so jealous of all that sunshine:)

annelouiselikes said...

how deliriously happy am i to find someone else who doesn't love australian summers.
mustn't grumble, yes, yes, but the sun is a KILLER.
but warm days lead to more catch-ups and sunday drinks with friends, and walks outside and more hours of light.
and that leads to more opportunites for happy procrastination.
LOVE the necklaces; so summery and sweet

Vanessa said...

I love the rainbow effect in the first photo and think you photographed those amazing necklaces beautifully. I miss the sun in winter here but hate the brutally hot days of summer. It seems so difficult to just find a pleasant summer's day and that's one of the things that makes me miss England.

hila said...

thanks everyone, for your kind feedback, sweet words, reassurance about my photo-taking skills and sympathies about the weather :)

the above fore-mentioned: I hope I helped, in some small way.

Mary-Laure said...

I love those necklaces you made, they're very cute! And cheerful.

louise said...

I like the results of your procrastination. I wish all my bouts of procrastination were as fruitful as yours.

Hermine said...

The necklaces are just beautiful ! And the ring looks just perfect on your fingers.

hila said...

mary-laure: thanks! they are very cheerful, I hope they make me like summer :)

louise: most of my procrastination tends to be less fruitful than this.

hermine: thank you!

skeletaldreams said...

beautiful post x

hila said...

thanks!