Ephemera

Thursday, 25 November 2010

ephemera

The erotic, is where the garment gapes.
-Roland Barthes, The Pleasure of the Text, 1975, p. 26.

Authentic sexual pleasure is not, after all, a fleeting and circumstantial thing; it is a releasing of the self, a charged somatic awareness, carried beyond the bedroom ...
-Gail Jones, The Piano, Currency Press, 2007, p. 56.

We live in a male-centric reality. Women don't know how to trust themselves, even how to look at themselves ...
-Jane Campion, Harper's Bazaar Australia, January/February 2010, p. 86.

Last night I talked to an old friend on the phone for hours. And then I bawled like a baby. I really hate living far away from people I love. I did receive a special request to not simply tell him what's going on in my mind, but show him. Sometimes it's hard to describe some of my thoughts. So these are a few fragmentary tidbits of things that have been occupying my mind.

Image Credits: 1. False Flags, 2. George Raft, 3. Clotilde Hesme & Louis Garrel in "Les amants réguliers", 4. The White Rose / die Weiße Rose, German resistance group during ww2, 5. George Hoyningen-Huene, Lee Miller, 6. Balanchine, Rehearsing Don Quixote. Suzanne Farrell and George Balanchine in 1968.

14 comments:

danica said...

that barthes quote is one of my favourites. i love the selection of images...very monochrome, classic and romantic.

Marinka said...

those are really nice..I love the quote a lot ^^

Virginia Blue - Director Blue Fruit said...

What an exquisite post...the quotes (especially barthes), your honest musings and the most delicate of images (especially #5). Beautiful!

Ella said...

your affinity for beautiful images, and eloquently written quotes is enchanting :)

gracia said...

A beautiful collection of images. All six are charming... and I could not imagine living far from dear loved one. I don't think I could bear it for too long.

g xo

hila said...

danica: yep, it's one of my favourites too.

thanks Marinka!

virginia blue: thanks so much.

ella: why thank you, enchanting lass :)

gracia: tis the story of my life I'm afraid. That's what happens when your family and friends are on the other side of the world.

secret, fragile skies said...

perfect barthes quote, love your images, title. gorgeous blog. thanks!

Sundari said...

Those images are just gorgeous. I like the first one the best. I am about to watch more Jane Campion films this week, because I need more credibility before I announce that she is my favourite director, as I am currently basing that on one film.

Sundari said...

Actually I've watched portrait of a lady as well.

Vanessa said...

I always love your choice of words and images, reminding me of things I love but have forgotten and others to discover. Thank you. I can't tell you how often I've cried after talking to those I care most about on the phone. How I wish I could bring my favourite city and people together.

Maura said...

Beautiful selection of images, such intensity. And the quotes are wonderful. It can be very hard to be away from loved ones, I constantly find myself torn between my friends and family on the east and west coasts of the US. Hope your conversation and post served as a bit of a catharsis.

hila said...

thanks ladies!

sundari: I personally love sweetie, I hope you get to see it.

Vanessa: I agree, I wish we could all just live in one city together. Slim chances of that happening though.

Maura: thanks, it was a bit cathartic actually.

skeletaldreams said...

amazing collection of photos and beautiful quotes, gorgeous blog!
x

hila said...

thanks again!