The Sleeping Beauty

Friday, 24 September 2010

nana lutea

nana lutea

nana lutea

Pink, purple, yellow, white, all conceivable colours of tutus. Blue damask seats so deep they look sinkable. Minutely perfected technique. Twinkling arms that look like bells. A sweet conductor with long grey curls and occasionally bobbing head. A silk dress draped at my trembling knees. Hair gently caught at the nape. The incomparable smell of a freshly made programme. Deep velvet curtains. A stiff neck, unmoving from absorption. Tingling hands warm from clapping. Long conversations with dancers. The dizziness of wine. The smell of sweat, makeup and energy. The lingering silence in a hushed theatre. The Sleeping Beauty was divine.

There are so many more things I want to go see now. At the top of my list would have to be this film ...



The beautiful photographs above are by Nana Lutea, whose photostream has some of the most memorable ballet photography I have ever seen on flickr.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

14 comments:

danica said...

oh yes! i cannot wait to see howl - it looks fab.

also, those ballet shots are amazing - the colour and swirl of movement is gorgeous.

Marinka said...

looks nice

Sundari said...

Wow the photos are great. I'm very impressed! And it goes so beautifully with your writing.

Alyeska Kochanek said...

That movie looks fabulous! What a wonderful creation. The preview has a feel like a poem.

tywo said...

The shots are wonderful. I like the movement.
Beautiful!




LOVE!

Ella said...

this is wonderful! i love how the colors, textures, and images seem to melt together :)

Enia Is (Almost) Here said...

stunning photos! and i can't believe you might be coming this way... fingers crossed :)

Megan Champion said...

I remember the first time I ever went to the ballet. I was totally enamored with the muscular legs and the beautiful fabrics. The music and of course the story. Telling a story through dance. I fell in love. I have never seen Sleeping Beauty, but I’m sure it’s just wonderful. I love your photos, dizzy with it all.

bronwyn said...

Those photographs are stunning and they perfectly fit your words. I thought you must have taken them. I don't get to see too many films in the theater these days but Howl is on my must see list. I'm so fascinated by that era. And City Lights bookstore is one of my favorite places to go on my lunch hour.

Make it Easy said...

those photos are gorgeous! i thought they were paintings

hila said...

Thanks guys!

And enia, yes, fingers crossed!

Ula said...

these images are wonderful, the way the colour sways from the motion is mesmerizing

The above fore-mentioned. said...

I can't wait to see Howl either! Have you seen the latest reviews on the Allen Ginsberg Project blog?
http://ginsbergblog.blogspot.com/

hila said...

ula: I know!

the above fore-mentioned: thanks for that link, much appreciated.