First Page

Sunday, 5 September 2010

kate

kate

kate

kate

kate

kate

kate

kate

kate

kate

Nothing stinks like a pile of unpublished writing.

-Sylvia Plath

These superb images are by :: K a t e ::, whose photographs are some of my favourites on flickr. They are the perfect combination of poeticism and a no-nonsense perspective. It's for this reason they remind me of Sylvia Plath and her own unique blend of ingenuousness and poetry.

Plath's words ring so true for me these days. I don't think I have to worry about her statement regarding unpublished writing anymore. I have very exciting news: I've been offered a book contract from Palgrave Macmillan. My very first book. It's a completely different feeling to contributing to book collections, having your own book.

My book, titled, Cultural Afterlives and Screen Adaptations of Classic Literature: Wuthering Heights and Company, will be published in early 2012. What I'm particularly excited about is having my writing out there to be read. It's one thing to sit down and write something, quite another to see how it is interpreted by someone else with a different perspective. It's like a full circle for the creative process. The meaning of books doesn't simply reside in the author, but also, the reader.

So, it's been a busy, but splendidly exciting week for me. I hope you're all having an equally splendid weekend.

P.S. my first article for The Australian Ballet on Behind Ballet will be appearing in mid-September. I can't say much more than that ... I'm afraid I have to be mysterious and top-secret about it until then.

28 comments:

Rina said...

Oh Hila! congrats for all your achievements! I can´t wait for 2012 to read it! It´s too much! I will wait until then very anxiously!

that kate said...

Thank you so much for the mention and well done about your book!

Enia Is (Almost) Here said...

congrats! to be honest, given that i am writing up at the moment the idea of a book based on my work seems too fantastical to entertain, but i can imagine it must be a terrific feeling! :)

Deleilan said...

How thrilling! Congratulations, Hila!

Make it Easy said...

i love those simple quotes in the book!
:-)

Sundari said...

Well done! Congratulations you little smarty pants. That sounds exciting. I'm adding that to my list of upcoming books that I need to get my hands on. I'm still waiting on 'New Romanticism in Australian art'

Sara said...

what beautiful pictures- thank you for sharing them with us. congrats on your book- looking forward to hearing more about it and picking up a copy!

kirstyb said...

lovely post xxxx

tywo said...

I love the quotes in the book.
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.
I want to have a photography book someday. Like zenit by Annette(http://www.annettepehrsson.se/). She takes lovely photos.
I'm glad you like the name Brenton. :)




LOVE!

Indie.Tea said...

How very exciting for you (the contract I mean)!!! Congratulations!!!
p.s. lovely photographs too.

Susanna-Cole King said...

Congratulations your first book, dear! ♥

xoxo,
S-C

anabela / fieldguided said...

Congratulations! That is so wonderful. A thrilling feeling, surely!

Esti said...

congrats on the publishing of your book. And thanks for discovering me this girls' pictures.

Christine said...

How very exciting! Glad to hear it's all going as scheduled. I simply adore Kate's photos and her blog. xx

etre-soi said...

Wow Hila, so so happy for you, you must be feeling light and happy, like in a cloud... so happy for you ! Congratulations !

sunkentreasure said...

Thanks Hila! this is lovely + crongats too!

louise said...

Congratulations. So very wonderful, exciting, rewarding... enjoy the ride. xo lj

Des said...

that's wonderful news. congratulations.

UnoCosa said...

"memory is a silent thing" - what a poetic way to put! i wrote it down, xx

hila said...

thank you everyone! xo

Anonymous said...

hila-

what advice would you give to a young wanna-be writer?

hila said...

Hi there, my main advice would be to write something of worth that you believe in, rather than simply something you think someone else would be interested in. Read a lot, that's how good writers are made. And give yourself time, a book isn't an instantaneous entity.

I hope this helps ...

Principia said...

congratulations on your book! that's quite an accomplishment :) and I also love kate's photographs :)

Megan Champion said...

I meant to tell you that I am of course so very excited for you – I’ll be joining you one day soon in the ranks of published book writers, I surely hope.
I so love your blog Hila – it truly is my very most favorite. Always has been. Thank you for your comment the other day,
Best,
megan

hila said...

thank you both :)

adeline said...

I love the quotes! so nice to meet you :))

aDeLiNe said...

Thanks for your comment on Lady Croissant.
I've been browsing through your blog for half an hour now and this post just blew my mind. I love everything about it.
xxx

hila said...

thank you adeline!