The Anatomy of Desire

Monday, 16 August 2010

lynde dourthe

lynde dourthe

lynde dourthe

lynde dourthe

lynde dourthe

lynde dourthe

The heart is the organ of desire (the heart swells, weakens, etc. like the sexual organs), as it is held, enchanted, within the domain of the Image-repertoire. What will the world, what will the other do with my desire? That is the anxiety in which are gathered all the heart's movements, all the heart's 'problems.'

-Roland Barthes, A Lover's Discourse: Fragments, p. 52.

The art of Lyndie Dourthe is described as a 'workshop' of 'tiny oddities', and the minute I stumbled upon her website, I was charmed by the bizarrely beautiful work. The heart artwork reminded me of Barthes's own representation of the heart in A Lover's Discourse.

Wouldn't it be fascinating to map out the anatomy of desire through oddities and the body? Her artwork mingles flowers, death and bodily organs, suggesting a link between all three. In my mind, the link is desire, almost like we need physical proof of its existence through tokens, curiosities and the body's vulnerability and permeability. To see more of Lyndie's work, visit her blog.

I have two more lovely things to share. One of my (very, very) short stories has won a short fiction competition and will be available in print early next year. You can read it online here. I really enjoyed the difficult task of condensing ideas into one hundred words. It's often harder than having the luxury of a longer word count to play with.

The second piece of news is that I will soon be joining the writing team for The Australian Ballet's blog, Behind Ballet. I hope you'll visit me there every once in a while.

11 comments:

Kate said...

Wow these are great! Thanks for sharing!
xx

Felix Curds said...

hey wow! this is all so inspirational. your blog is really inspirational:)

etre-soi said...

Oh yes Lyndie's work is beautiful. And congratulations, your short story is so great, I love love this kind of very short stories, they remind me of photographs, a moment in time.

Indie.Tea said...

What beautiful pieces. They remind me of old-fashioned botanical drawings...
There is a shop in Berkeley, CA that is called The Tail of the Yak...her pieces would in there perfectly. Naturally, it is the sort of place one could spend hours in, just browsing...

amy said...

clever you :)

lyndie is one of my absolute favourites, lovely lovely.

Sundari said...

Well done again for the ballet gig. And I must say it is pleasantly surprising that every time I visit your blog I seem to find something that is exactly the direction I am trying to take my work. Very interesting stuff!

Ella said...

i absolutely love the concept of all these pieces! thank you for sharing :) i will be spamming her website momentarily :)

Des said...

I enjoyed "Miranda in Red." You did so much with only 100 words. Great execution.

Olivia said...

Oh, this idea is absolutely marvelous. I can't begin to describe the infinite causeway in which this has spiraled me into; the anatomy of desire. How very keen of you to post this, thank you so much. Your blog is always so inspiring. xxx

hila said...

thanks everyone!!

Dresden said...

Those are some seriously gorgeous pieces of heart artwork; some of the best I've ever seen, honestly. Real care and time was taken with them, I can see.