The English Department

Wednesday, 21 July 2010

persuasion

honeychurch

giselle

oysters and pearls

storyville

ghost-full

eventide

beatrix

ghost-short

I'm not a wedding person. To be honest, I struggle to find the excitement that so many of my girlfriends seem to naturally have when it comes to weddings. I would rather spend the money that is poured into one day into many days of travel and adventure instead. But even I have to admit, these dresses are beautiful. I would buy one of these dresses just to wear to an event, wedding or not. And guess what? They are made by a design studio called The English Department! A sign, don't you think? Unfortunately, even at $900 a dress (pretty darn cheap for dresses such as these), I can't afford one, but I can still share them with you. I think what I love about these dresses is that they are quite simple designs, with little details that make them interesting. I like the frill at the waist on the Giselle dress for example. And for some reason, they do remind me of the intricate costumes in Jane Campion's Bright Star.

14 comments:

Valeria said...

just lovely!!!
I'm in love with the second one <3

http://fashinspirations.blogspot.com/

minna ♥ said...

Oh, I think I'm in love :) <3

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

stunning images, such gorgoeus styling!

Maura said...

She is in my part of the world! Absolutely love her designs, these are just gorgeous.

Indie.Tea said...

What beautiful dresses...I love the first one so much. I'd want one like it (if I wasn't going to wear a sari)

Susanna-Cole said...

I like the soft simplicity of these, nothing too overdone or showy. The first two are my favorites!

Belated thanks for your comment, dear! ♥

xoxo,
S-C

tywo said...

These dresses are super gorgeous!





LOVE!

bronwyn said...

I'm with you. I thought about having a wedding for about 5 minutes. I got married at City Hall (in San Francisco - actually a very beautiful building) and my in-laws threw us a banquet. My dress was $50 from Chinatown. We spent our money on nice wedding bands since we'll have these forever (I skipped the engagement ring) and a trip to China. We decided that we'd rather begin our marriage with a big adventure, not recovering from a big party.

That said, I do love these dresses. I think it is their simplicity I like most.

hila said...

well, it looks like I'm not the only fan of these dresses!

bronwyn: that sounds perfect, exactly what I would do.

etre-soi said...

yes these are gorgeous, I've been secretely wishing that maybe one day I'll own the 3rd one ;-)

Nicomi "Nix" Turner said...

Wow. These are gorgeous!

hila said...

aren't they just? I secretly want the first one Sofia.

odessa said...

ohhhh..i want the 4th one. i think i've always wanted to wear a short wedding dress. they are all so dreamy.

hila said...

I agree!