Kate

Monday, 19 July 2010

kate

I'm examining some music videos in order to acquaint myself with their form and aesthetic a bit better. Of course, at the top of my list of favourites are a few of Kate Bush's early videos. Their sheer originality is astounding, especially when you consider that she was making these videos when the actual concept of a music video wasn't as advanced or sophisticated as it is today. But I also admire recent artists like Lady Gaga, who wears her influences on her sleeves, but nevertheless manages to do something completely different with them.

So this got me thinking about what kind of music videos appeal to different people. Have you ever sat back and watched a particular video that stuck in your mind? If so, please do share.

7 comments:

Indie.Tea said...

I really like Lady Gaga's video for Alejandro (and I'm usually very neutral to her)...very easy to see the influences in it though.
Have you ever seen the Smashing Pumpkins for "zero"? Its by Yeluna Yemcluk, who does work for magazines such as Lula normally...

Christine said...

I'm so unhip when it comes to music videos. But Goldfrapp's video for "Happiness" sticks in my head.

Enia Is (Almost) Here said...

one of my perennial favorites is 'what else is there', royksopp (with the singer from knife)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLpkXtM-VI8

Nicomi "Nix" Turner said...

The video for Cloudbusting has been a long favorite of mine.

Very nice!

miriam said...

can not think of any song/video at the moment (im boring i know) but i love kate bush! x

Des said...

the deep forest video for the song "sweet lullaby" has always been my favorite.

hila said...

Thanks guys!