Bodytorque

Tuesday, 1 June 2010

bodytorque

bodytorque

Bodytorque is a collaborative project between five emerging designers and choreographers from The Australian ballet. I found myself drawn to this project particularly because of the video below:



I don't know what others come away with after viewing this mini-documentary, but for me, it raised lots of ideas about our relationship with the everyday. Clothing is often primarily appreciated visually rather than sensually. This project seems to evoke questions about the types of everyday things we place upon our skins and bodies, and I rather like this idea of considering clothes from a movement- and sensually-orientated perspective. What did you think of the video?

To read more about this project, visit Behind Ballet. Photography is by Branco Gaica and the video is by The Apiary.

11 comments:

danica said...

i watched this recently too and loved the aesthetic. the play on bodies, clothing, movement and dance is sensually exquisite.

Danica said...

wow. this video really made me think. thank you so much for sharing this. you don't really think everyday how beautiful and sensual even fabrics and movement can be...when put together with dance....just sooo beautiful to see. I also like the pushing and tearing of the more resistant fabrics...makes me think of breaking out of a shell...so gorgeous!

Sundari said...

I will have to come back to watch it as I am currently supposed to be writing an essay...sigh. But I think the idea of the use of clothing as something more than an aesthetic part of performance does sound very interesting.

agirl said...

This is absolutely beautiful as well as thought-provoking. I'm keen to see more of their work as well. Thank you for sharing it!

Daphne said...

I love ballet, it's so beautiful. I'm always so impressed when I see those wonderful elegant balletmovements. And I really respect you for being able to manage perfectly fine in pointe ballet shoes. (That comment you gave on my blog was really funny, it sort of made my day.) Love, Daphne. PS: Thank you so much for recommending those amazing books!

Christine said...

I love the idea of using dancers to showcase the clothing. They really do compliment each other as clothing is about how it looks, feels, moves. Lovely video!

Vera said...

I don't think I've ever left a comment here - the reasons for that are beyong me -, but I must tell you that your blog is one of my very favourites. You have such fantastic taste and always write about the most beautiful things in a clear and lovely way. xx

hila said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments everyone!

And vera, thank you, that's very kind :)

Maria said...

this is so beautiful..different and intimate. lovely!

UnoCosa said...

what an interesting philosophy - and great collaboration! xx

hila said...

thanks!