Homesick

Sunday, 30 May 2010

poems

poems

poems

My mother has arrived from Paris and Israel bearing gifts of perfume, chocolate, poems and a single (ceramic) Pomegranate. I love the last two gifts the most. The Pomegranate reminds me of summers in Israel and the poems speak to me in words of nostalgia that I'm all-too-familiar with. Have you ever been struck with a such a pang of homesickness, that it literally hurts?

Poem from When leaves Fall by Maccabit Malkin, illustrated by Tali Geva, translated into English from Hebrew by Natanya Wachtel.

12 comments:

marie said...

yep that happens too often for me ;)

Danica said...

I lived in Ecuador for a whole summer and my home is in Southern California. So the homesickness was not only missing home but being so culture shocked as well. :/

Sundari said...

I often feel this way, but it is more a longing for a real home. Because I don't feel as though Australia is my home but despite growing up in Indonesia I didn't feel like I fit in there either. It's a strange feeling.

even eve said...

I love the that red :)

Make it Easy said...

very pretty. that poem was nice

Daphne said...

I adore your blog, it reminds me of the feeling I get when i'm reading a good book and I don't want it to end.<3 That's a wonderful poem, you have the greatest taste.;)

danica said...

oh my - i just noticed that you have another danica in your life :)

i love the illustration, hila. it must be nice to have your mum home again

hila said...

marie, danica, sundari: there's something comforting in knowing you guys feel that way too.

even eve: me too!

make it easy: the book has lots of lovely poems.

daphne: that's incredibly sweet of you to say, thank you.

danica: there's only one danica like you! :)
It is very nice to have her home.

tywo said...

I love that poem.


LOVE!

Des said...

Yes, homesickness really is the worst.

ashley said...

oh, i want a porcelain pomegranate!
x ashley

hila said...

thanks for the comments :)