Reading by Moonlight

Thursday, 27 May 2010

moonlight

I'm currently reading the most wonderful book, Brenda Walker's Reading by Moonlight: How Books Saved a Life. It somehow requires a better adjective than "wonderful", but I'm adjective- and word-weary at the moment, I haven't stopped writing all week. Reading is my respite. I do think I'm incapable of describing this work in a manner that is as illuminating as Brenda's own words, so I'll leave you with them:

This is the story of the right book, or books. We each have one life, one share of action and vision and money; a single life for all our speech and thought, our decent gestures and the decisions that might undo us, our welcome or unwanted love, our parties that may or may not come off. One life to satisfy our vast and human sense of voyaging. With the right books we find out what imaginary strangers have done with their share of this amazing thing, life.

11 comments:

marie said...

sounds intriguing ;)

Des said...

outstanding.

Sundari said...

Books are amazing like that. It must be strange to write a book about some character that may influence someone, in a way...

Sundari said...

P.S. The layout is looking great!

abraham palafox gastelum said...

hey hila hi!
i saw the photos of april and are really beautiful!!
:)

i send you a hug from mexico

Daphne said...

Mmm, I think this is a good one. :) Reading is like breathing to me and this is defenitely a book I'm going to add to my amazon-wishlist. Thanks for posting about it! I have just 'discovered' your blog and I love it, it's quite poetic and soooo pretty.<3

tywo said...

I'm from Nigeria, Africa. When I was younger, we had "tales by moonlight" nights. The whole family would sit outside, and we'll tell/read our favorite stories.
This post reminds me of it.
How beautiful.


LOVE!

Christine said...

This sounds good. Will have to pick up. Thanks for sharing and have a beautiful weekend!

hila said...

Thanks everyone, I'm so humbled to have such thoughtful readers :)

odessa said...

love the quote! thanks for sharing about this book, will have to check it out soon.

hila said...

my pleasure, I hope you get to read it.