Somersault

Sunday, 25 April 2010

somersault

somersault

somersault

somersault

somersault

somersault

Cate Shortland's Somersault is a film that has the same affect on me every time I view it. I'm amazed that the intensity of this affect has not waned or decreased from numerous viewings. When you think about it, there is nothing particularly unique about the storyline of the film, which draws together various well-worn coming-of-age themes such as the need for acceptance, belonging and love, the discovery of desire, and the complexity of adult relationships. It's not so much the story itself which haunts me, but the manner in which it is told.

This film is best appreciated when it is picked apart and examined as a series of tender, vulnerable and simple images: a page from Heidi's childish diary, a paper snowflake ripped from a pastry packaging, locked fingers, a bare back, an exposed thigh. These images accumulate in meaning and you get the sense that there is a whole other world of consciousness to which you, as the audience, are not privy to, but which remains locked in Heidi's mind and gestures. One of my favourite scenes comes halfway through the film when Heidi plays with Joe's fingers. It's so simple really, and in any other film such play would be cliche, but here it isn't. I guess that's why I find Somersault touching.

This a brilliant Australian film, it makes me proud of our film industry and I think I'm starting to develop a real appreciation of Abbie Cornish as an actress. She manages to convince me every time.

12 comments:

marie said...

loved it too!

Mandy said...

Oh I agree totally, such a great film.... I love Australian films, I think we do some really amazing stuff ... it drives me mad when you see some of the crap that comes out of America and some of our best films are only appreciated by a few ... one of the best films last year I think was "Three Blind Mice" so brilliant , won so many awards overseas and the only cinema to show it was The Chauvel in Sydney and odd ones around the place .... Oh listen to me ranting but I really think everyone needs to get more behind our own industry.... My very good friend happens to be the Australian agent of Abbie Cornish ... she is so wonderful and so deserving of her success ...

cinta / sepi / sayu said...

oh these images! i must watch this picture.

thank you for your dear comment, Xx

danica said...

i wished i liked this film as much as i like your description of it! i have to say that i disliked it on so many levels...the only thing that i appreciated was the cinematography. i am probably the only arty girl in australia that feels that way...

Maria said...

these pictures of it looks lovely! have to check it out..

GENEVIEVE DAHLIE said...

you've made me want to watch it, but i have no way to!

Rina said...

such a beautiful images! You must watch "Los amantes del circulo polar" (The polar circle lovers) a spanish film, I know you will love it!

Hila said...

marie: it's awesome isn't it?

mandy: oh please, go on ranting, I totally agree.

cinta/sepi/sayu: my pleasure!

danica: oh well, if we liked the same things all the time danica, I'm afraid that would be a little strange :)

maria: yes, check it out.

genevieve: it's probably available through amazon or ebay?

rina: I've watched it rina, and loved it :)

lyptis said...

So pretty. Ive never see the movie, but i can imagine it now sort of after reading ur post.

Christine said...

I've never seen this film. But I'm going to look for it. I must admit to not knowing enough Australian films but I definitely know you guys have a strong film scene right now. Great images! Love your blog.

Hila said...

Thanks!

natalie said...

Have you seen 'Candy'? If you like Abbie Cornish as much as I do, then you will love this film. Heath Ledger and Geoffrey Rush are in it as well, which I must say, never exactly hurt a film. haha

I love 'Somersault' too. Which reminds me that I should watch it again. Thank you! :)

Great captures as well!