Thursday, 25 March 2010

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

bright star

My DVD copy of Bright Star arrived today and I couldn't put it into my DVD player fast enough. Watching this film while I'm reading Into the Wild is giving me a new perspective from my initial review. I'm wondering about the metaphoric relationship between Keats and Chris; if there is a connection between the extremity of their lives, their creative perspectives, individual philosophies and their youth in death. None of my ideas are concrete yet, but I sure don't mind revisiting the film many times.


Sundari said...

Oh, Hila. This film hasn't left me yet. I am still haunted by it. I am so inspired to take beautiful photographs that can shine through with the same emotions, but I have put so much pressure onto myself that I can't do it.
I bought myself a DVD in Bali (unfortunately pirated), but it was only to keep me going until the real release.
Into the Wild sounds really interesting. I am so happy I'm studying Romanticism this semester. I think your blog will be in my references.

please sir said... I'm so in love with this movie. I haven't seen Into the Wild yet, so I can't comment about their relationship, but sounds like a great avenue to pursue.

CeCe said...

such a gorgeous film. and, i just love krakauer's writing -- what an excellent read.

comparing "into the wild" with keats/"bright star" sounds really fascinating. would love to hear more of what you have to say about that!

Rambling Tart said...

I watched it this weekend on your recommendation and was so moved. The story is wrenching yet beautiful, and the photography breath taking. Thank you for sharing it with us! :-)

cinta / sepi / sayu said...

oh my lit teacher recommended it to me- we forever love keats.

your blog is enchanting.

the maisies said...

two incredible pieces of work... abbie and ben are a cupid's match.

Anonymous said...

I just recieved this movie as a birthday gift yesterday and I have been so thrilled to watch this over and over. It is the first movie that has ever touched me this deeply. I would also love to hear more about what you have to say about it.

jade... said...

oh, so beautiful.


Tracie Tsuneya said...

I have been wanting to see this movie, and I still haven't gotten around to it.
I love these images- it shows such a great artistic style in the film, and makes me want to see it even more!

flossy-p said...

Ahhh, it was so beautiful! My favourite moment was when he climbed to the top of that tree and laid suspended on the blossoms.

Principia said...

wonderful screenshots!
anyway I was so upset because Fanny didn't go to Italy with John. worst decision ever.

Hila said...

sundari: that's so sweet, but you'll need better references than me :) I really hope you enjoy the unit! Romanticism is my favourite area to teach.

please sir: I'm totally in love with it at the moment.

cece: it is an excellent read so far!

rambling tart: my pleasure!

cinta/sepi/sayu: thank you :)

the maisies: they are indeed, and so believable.

jade: I agree!

tracie: I hope you get the chance to see it soon.

flossy-p: my favourite was when fanny found out about his death.

principia: yes, I kept thinking about what would be worse; to see him die, or to know he is dying on the other side of the world.

Make it Easy said...

that is some beautiful cinematography!

Ann Marie said...

LOVE this movie...would watch it all day every day if i could. it makes me more and more excited for my wordsworth/keats poetry class this summer.

inspir-ed. said...

cherry blossoms. how perfect.

gracia said...

I so look forward to watching this film again. I saw it twice at the cinema and now, having looked once more at these frames, now I want to watch it again. Thank you. Thank you for all the beautiful and interesting and curious things you share in all forms.

Hila said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments :)

Mandy said...

I saw this film at a theater a while ago, so amazing on the big screen, love the photographs.... just divine !!!

Hila said...

divine indeed!!

hildegarde said...

my daydreams are filled with these scenes from the film, with butterflies fluttering about

onesilentwinter said...

i am so intrigued about what you have written. into the woods profoundly changed me or maybe more it spoke to me as if i was only made of heart and lung, leaving my heart to ache and me breathless. i have wanted to see bright star, i am afraid of the same thing that somehow nothing will manner except arriving to such freedom and self understanding.

hila, please do share some more

Hila said...

oh, I plan to, I plan to write an article on this topic. I'm sure I'll have more to say when the writing process begins.

Anonymous said...

The first time I watched this movie in the cinema I left feeling rather empty. I knew it was beautiful and it touched my soul but I could not appreciate it fully until later...then it all came to me, in all its beauty and gloriousness